Approximate Maximum Deflection Of Beam

In summary, the question is asking to estimate the maximum deflection of the electron beam near the center of a CRT television screen due to the Earth's field, assuming the screen is 20 cm away from the electron gun and the electrons are accelerated by a voltage of 2.2 kV. The equation used to solve for the deflection is |q|vB=(mv^2)/r, with B representing the Earth's field. However, the radius found using this equation is not the answer to the question, as the deflection distance is marked as dx and can be found by writing an equation for the circle.
Melqarthos

Homework Statement

Estimate the approximate maximum deflection of the electron beam near the center of a CRT television screen due to the Earth's field. Assume the screen is 20 from the electron gun, where the electrons are accelerated by the following voltages. Note that in color TV sets, the beam must be directed accurately to within less than 1 in order to strike the correct phosphor. Because the Earth's field is significant here, mu-metal shields are used to reduce the Earth's field in the CRT.

By 2.2 kV

Homework Equations

We know that

eV=Work
KE=(1/2)mv^2
and |q|vB=(mv^2)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the speed of the traveling electron(s):

(1.60*10^-19)(2.2*10^3)=(1/2)(9.1*10^-3)(v^2)
v=2.78*10^7

And then when I plug it into the equation

|q|vB=(mv^2)/r

I get a value of deflection to be 3.16 meters, which is not the write answer. I'm not too sure where I went wrong. If anyone could help me out that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2.2 kV is very low - could it be 22 kV? Is that 20 cm from the screen?
What value did you use for B?

The radius you found is not the answer to the question. This is the situation:
CRT.jpg

The blue arc is the path of the electron. You are trying to find the red deflection distance marked dx.

If you can write an equation for the circle it will be easy to use it to find dx.

Last edited:
Ohh I see :)

I'll be sure to post the answer soon, just need to get down on paper first!

Melqarthos

whats the answer

1. What is the approximate maximum deflection of a beam?

The approximate maximum deflection of a beam refers to the maximum amount of bending or displacement that a beam can undergo before it fails or breaks. It is a measure of the flexibility and strength of a beam and is typically measured in units of length, such as inches or millimeters.

2. How is the approximate maximum deflection of a beam calculated?

The approximate maximum deflection of a beam is calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the type of beam and its loading conditions. The most common method is to use the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the beam's length, cross-sectional properties, and applied load. Other methods, such as the Timoshenko beam theory, may also be used for more complex beam configurations.

3. What factors affect the approximate maximum deflection of a beam?

The approximate maximum deflection of a beam is influenced by several factors, including the beam's material properties, cross-sectional shape and size, length, and boundary conditions. The type and magnitude of the applied load also play a significant role in determining the deflection of a beam.

4. Why is it important to know the approximate maximum deflection of a beam?

Knowing the approximate maximum deflection of a beam is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate size and material for a beam, as well as its placement and support. It also allows for the prediction of potential failures and can aid in identifying potential design flaws.

5. Can the approximate maximum deflection of a beam be reduced?

Yes, the approximate maximum deflection of a beam can be reduced by modifying its properties or loading conditions. Increasing the beam's stiffness by using a stronger or larger cross-section, or supporting it at more points, can decrease its deflection. Additionally, redistributing the applied load or reducing its magnitude can also decrease the deflection of a beam.