Approximating distributions with other distributions

In summary: The exact binomial is the exact probability of five or more faulty units. The Poisson and normal approximations, however, are approximations to the probability that the number of faulty units is five or more. The difference is subtle, but real.
Gauss M.D.
In shipment A, there are 990 correct and 10 faulty units. In shipment B, there are 1940 correct and 60 faulty units.

100 units out of each shipment is inspected. Calculate with an APPROPRIATE approximation the probability of finding five or more faulty units.

Emphasis from book, not me.

My solution was

A = Bin(100,0.01) ≈ N(1,0.1)
B = Bin(100,0.03) ≈ N(3,1.71)

A+B ≈ N(4,1.71)

P(A+B > 4.5) = 1-P(A+B < 4.5) = /normal table/ = 0.386

Which produced a fairly good answer, but the book also made it clear that they were looking for a poisson approximation. I am not entirely clear on why that is. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
In shipment A, there are 990 correct and 10 faulty units. In shipment B, there are 1940 correct and 60 faulty units.

100 units out of each shipment is inspected. Calculate with an APPROPRIATE approximation the probability of finding five or more faulty units.

My solution was

A+B ≈ N(4,1.71)

Which produced a fairly good answer, but the book also made it clear that they were looking for a poisson approximation. I am not entirely clear on why that is. Anyone?

Perhaps what they wanted, is for you to use a Poisson approximation with mean (1+3), in which case you get:
A = Bin(100,0.01) ≈ Poisson(1)
B = Bin(100,0.03) ≈ Poisson(3)
A+B ≈ Poisson(1+3)

P(A+B >_ 5) = 1 - P(A+B <_ 4) = 1 - POISSON.DISTR(4, 1+3, cumulative) = 0.389.

Either way, they may have wanted you to associate the probability on "faulty" units with Poisson, which would be appropriate.

Btw, I get slightly different results.
My result for your normal approximation based on the binomial distribution is 0.419.
The same normal approximation based on the Poisson distribution is 0.420.

Last edited:
That is almost certainly what they wanted. But there doesn't seem to be any great motive for why a Poisson approximation would be BETTER than a normal approximation, right?

Btw my book says Bin(n,p) ~ N[np,sqrt(np(1-p)]. Wikipedia says Bin(n,p) ~ N[np,np(1-p)]. Is this a notation difference? My book uses N(a,b) where a is expected value, b is standard deviation.

Gauss M.D. said:
That is almost certainly what they wanted. But there doesn't seem to be any great motive for why a Poisson approximation would be BETTER than a normal approximation, right?

Actually, the normal distribution is not a very good approximation where the tails of the distribution are concerned.
The Poisson distribution has a more natural resemblance to the binomial distribution, on top of being appropriate for fault behavior.

At any rate, I wouldn't call your normal approximation wrong. It's still a good approximation in this case.
Btw my book says Bin(n,p) ~ N[np,sqrt(np(1-p)]. Wikipedia says Bin(n,p) ~ N[np,np(1-p)]. Is this a notation difference? My book uses N(a,b) where a is expected value, b is standard deviation.

Yes, these are indeed notational differences.
The parameters of the normal distribution are expected value (##\mu##) and standard deviation (##\sigma##).
Whenever you specify the normal distribution, you need to make sure to eliminate any ambiguity where the standard deviation is concerned.
As you can see in the wiki article, they've made sure to specify ##\mathcal N(\mu, \sigma^2)## first, before specifying anything with it.
Likely your book will have specified N[μ,σ] first, before making any statements using it.

Gauss M.D. said:

My solution was

A+B ≈ N(4,1.71)

The normal approx. is not advised for a large-n, small-p case like yours. The Poisson is much better.

Note: you should have A ~ N(1,0.995), giving A+B~N(4,1.975) and P(>=4.5)=0.40006387.

The results are for P(>=5) are:
exact binomial = 0.37115~0.37
Poisson = 0.37116~0.37
Normal = 0.40006~0.40

Note: these are the Poisson approx. to the binomial, and the normal approx. to the same binomial.

My home internet connection is down, so I am using my I-phone with all its difficulties and limitations. (Computations done off-line.)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of approximating distributions with other distributions?

The purpose of approximating distributions with other distributions is to simplify complex probability distributions into more manageable and familiar forms. This allows for easier analysis and interpretation of data, and can also make calculations and predictions more efficient.

2. What are some common methods for approximating distributions?

Some common methods for approximating distributions include the normal approximation, binomial approximation, and Poisson approximation. These methods involve finding a distribution that closely matches the original distribution in terms of its shape and parameters.

3. How accurate are these approximations?

The accuracy of approximations depends on the specific method used and the characteristics of the original distribution. In general, the accuracy tends to improve as the sample size increases. However, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each approximation method.

4. When should one use approximations instead of the original distribution?

Approximations are most useful when dealing with complex or unfamiliar distributions. They can also be helpful for making quick calculations or estimates. However, if the original distribution is well-known and easily manageable, it is generally preferable to use it instead of an approximation.

5. Can approximations be used for all types of distributions?

No, approximations are not suitable for all types of distributions. Some distributions, such as highly skewed or discrete distributions, may not have a good approximation method. Additionally, approximations should only be used if they are appropriate for the specific data and analysis being conducted.