1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using approximations to the binomial distribution

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the problem I am given. pic1.jpg . It is in he picture below or in the thumbnail. I was also told that since ##n## is big enough that I can use normal approximations.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that ##C_{\alpha}=C_{0.1}=2.33## which I got off the Z-score chart. The test statistic given looks like the one given for a binomial distribution given by where ##Z=\dfrac{x-np}{\sqrt{npq}}=\dfrac{\frac{x}{n}-p}{\frac{\sqrt{pq}}{\sqrt{n}}}##. I am not sure if this right or not. But it seems like this is the only way of finding the critical value. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I think you looked up the value for alpha = .01, you were asked for .1. If you are using a normal approximation, then this is all you need to find the critical value. Be sure to clarify if this is a one-tailed or two-tailed test. From the question T>C_alpha indicates you are checking to see if a majority are in favor--i.e. one-tailed, your process is correct. If you were just checking whether or not the null hypothesis held, you would use a two-tailed test. In that case, you would need to divide alpha by two.

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    I see it is two tailed so I would use ##C=1.645## which would be my critical value.

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Right--In this case the two tailed test is for p = 50%, if you reject that, then you know it is either more or less. If you were only concerned with the proportion being more, then you could use a smaller critical value to get the same level of confidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted