1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Approximating Field of Permanent Magnet with Micro-Currents?

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    According to theory, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is due to the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments.

I'm trying to use the Biot -Savart Law for billions of microscopic currents to approximate a the field of a permanent magnet.

How should these currents (or circuits) be arranged in space?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How do you think those magnetic dipoles should be arranged in the first place? What do you think will happen to the bulk magnetization if these dipoles are randomly oriented?

BTW, who is torturing you to do such a silly thing?

Zz.

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    It is just out of curiosity.

I was thinking of arranging them like the cans in this picture:

energy%20drink%20overload.jpg

Imagine that the rim of each can represents one circular circuit/current loop. Then we can stack layer upon layer of cans.

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then I'd love to see how you will handle the summing up of the "infinite series" off-axis solution from each of these current loop.

Zz.

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5
    Umm, thanks for the... encouragement?

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6
    Would you like to give me some pointer/suggestions/changes to this simplistic model?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted