Approximating Field of Permanent Magnet with Micro-Currents?

• I
  • Thread starter tade
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

According to theory, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is due to the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments.

I'm trying to use the Biot -Savart Law for billions of microscopic currents to approximate a the field of a permanent magnet.

How should these currents (or circuits) be arranged in space?

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
According to theory, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet is due to the combined effects of billions of microscopic magnetic moments.

I'm trying to use the Biot -Savart Law for billions of microscopic currents to approximate a the field of a permanent magnet.

How should these currents (or circuits) be arranged in space?
How do you think those magnetic dipoles should be arranged in the first place? What do you think will happen to the bulk magnetization if these dipoles are randomly oriented?

BTW, who is torturing you to do such a silly thing?

Zz.

How do you think those magnetic dipoles should be arranged in the first place? What do you think will happen to the bulk magnetization if these dipoles are randomly oriented?

BTW, who is torturing you to do such a silly thing?

Zz.
It is just out of curiosity.

I was thinking of arranging them like the cans in this picture:

energy%20drink%20overload.jpg

Imagine that the rim of each can represents one circular circuit/current loop. Then we can stack layer upon layer of cans.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It is just out of curiosity.

I was thinking of arranging them like the cans in this picture:

energy%20drink%20overload.jpg

Imagine that the rim of each can represents one circular circuit/current loop. Then we can stack layer upon layer of cans.
Then I'd love to see how you will handle the summing up of the "infinite series" off-axis solution from each of these current loop.

Zz.

Then I'd love to see how you will handle the summing up of the "infinite series" off-axis solution from each of these current loop.

Zz.
Umm, thanks for the... encouragement?

Would you like to give me some pointer/suggestions/changes to this simplistic model?