Approximating Glucose as an Ideal Gas: Can We Calculate Entropy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
Lambda96
Messages
233
Reaction score
77
Homework Statement
Estimate the entropy of the glucose molecules (and only those) in
the initial state before the creation of the cell. Hint: You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Relevant Equations
No specific formulas were given
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-11 um 14.07.42.png


For now it is only about the 1 task

If the task states that:

You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Does it then mean that I can take glucose as the ideal gas and then simply calculate the entropy for the ideal gas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
If the task states that:

You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Does it then mean that I can take glucose as the ideal gas and then simply calculate the entropy for the ideal gas?
Sorry you haven't had any replies. I am mostly unfamiliar with this topic, but the way the question is worded makes me think that you're on the right track. Best of luck.
 
Thanks Drakkith for getting in touch. I think task 1 to 3 I have now solved, I'm just a little unsure about the task 4, what exactly is meant by "Determine a lower bound for the overall entropy change"

Does anyone maybe have a tip for me, what I have to calculate exactly here?

Thanks