Approximating Glucose as an Ideal Gas: Can We Calculate Entropy?

Drakkith for getting in touch. I think task 1 to 3 I have now solved, I'm just a little unsure about the task 4, what exactly is meant by "Determine a lower bound for the overall entropy change"Does anyone maybe have a tip for me, what I have to calculate exactly here?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an ideal gas approximation for the dynamics of a substance in water and the calculation of entropy for this ideal gas. The speaker also asks for clarification on determining a lower bound for the overall entropy change.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
Estimate the entropy of the glucose molecules (and only those) in
the initial state before the creation of the cell. Hint: You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Relevant Equations
No specific formulas were given
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-11 um 14.07.42.png

For now it is only about the 1 task

If the task states that:

You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Does it then mean that I can take glucose as the ideal gas and then simply calculate the entropy for the ideal gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
If the task states that:

You can approximate that their dynamics in water resembles that of an ideal gas.
Does it then mean that I can take glucose as the ideal gas and then simply calculate the entropy for the ideal gas?
Sorry you haven't had any replies. I am mostly unfamiliar with this topic, but the way the question is worded makes me think that you're on the right track. Best of luck.

Likes DrClaude
Thanks Drakkith for getting in touch. I think task 1 to 3 I have now solved, I'm just a little unsure about the task 4, what exactly is meant by "Determine a lower bound for the overall entropy change"

Does anyone maybe have a tip for me, what I have to calculate exactly here?

Thanks

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the purpose of approximating glucose as an ideal gas?

The purpose of approximating glucose as an ideal gas is to simplify the calculations and make them more manageable. Ideal gases follow a set of well-defined laws, making it easier to calculate the entropy of glucose compared to using its actual molecular structure.

2. How accurate is the approximation of glucose as an ideal gas?

The accuracy of the approximation depends on the conditions under which it is being used. In certain scenarios, such as at low pressures and high temperatures, the ideal gas approximation may be accurate. However, at normal physiological conditions, it may not provide an accurate representation of the behavior of glucose.

3. What factors affect the entropy of glucose?

The entropy of glucose is affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of moles of glucose present. It is also influenced by the molecular structure and interactions between glucose molecules.

4. Can we use the ideal gas law to calculate the entropy of glucose?

No, the ideal gas law alone cannot be used to calculate the entropy of glucose. It can only provide an estimation of the entropy at certain conditions. Other thermodynamic equations and principles, such as the Gibbs free energy equation, must also be considered to accurately calculate the entropy of glucose.

5. What are the limitations of approximating glucose as an ideal gas?

One limitation is that the ideal gas approximation does not take into account the interactions between glucose molecules, which can significantly affect its behavior. Additionally, at normal physiological conditions, the ideal gas law may not accurately predict the behavior of glucose. Therefore, it is important to consider the limitations and potential errors when using this approximation.