Approximation of electric field of uniform charged disk

In summary, the electric field of a uniform charged disk at a point on its axis at a distance x from the disk is given by E=2k_e\pi\sigma(1-\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}}). When x\gg R, then the electric field is approximately k_e\frac{Q}{x^2}.
yoran
Hi,

Homework Statement

The electric field of a uniform charged disk at a point on its axis at a distance x from the disk is given by
[tex]E = 2k_e\pi\sigma(1-\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}})[/tex]
where R the radius of the disk and [tex]\sigma[/tex] the surface charge density.
In my notes it says that when [tex]x\gg R[/tex], that is when the distance x to the disk is much bigger than the radius of the disk, then
[tex]E\approx k_e\frac{Q}{x^2}[/tex]
with the Q the total charge on the disk. How do they come to that result?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When [tex]x\gg R[/tex], then [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. But then I get that [tex]E=0[/tex], which is not obviously not correct.
I guess the approximation that [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}[/tex] is wrong. But how is the approximation then?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
yoran said:
When [tex]x\gg R[/tex], then [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. But then I get that [tex]E=0[/tex], which is not obviously not correct.
I guess the approximation that [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}[/tex] is wrong. But how is the approximation then?

Thank you.

Hi yoran! :smile:

Always divide so that you get a "1" at the beginning:

√(x²/(x² + R²)) = 1/√(1 + R²/x²) ≈ 1 - R²/2x². :smile:

Also Yoran your mistake was that basically you did a 0th order expansion!

If you are not comfy with binomial expansions, you can always MacLaurin expand the function in R/x. You are still using the same thing though-- expanding in R/x instead of x because you want a variable that is small i.e. much less than one (so you can truncate the expansion and still have it legitimately approximate the original function), which R/x satisfies, while just straight up x is very large.

Allright then thanks a lot!

1. What is a uniform charged disk?

A uniform charged disk is a two-dimensional object with a circular shape that has a uniform distribution of electric charge across its surface. This means that the charge is evenly spread out throughout the disk.

2. What is the formula for the electric field of a uniform charged disk?

The formula for the electric field of a uniform charged disk is E = (σ/2ε0) * (1 - (z/(√(z2 + R2)))), where σ is the surface charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, z is the distance from the center of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

3. How does the electric field vary with distance from a uniform charged disk?

The electric field varies inversely with the distance from a uniform charged disk. This means that as the distance from the disk increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

4. Is the electric field of a uniform charged disk affected by the size of the disk?

Yes, the electric field of a uniform charged disk is affected by the size of the disk. As the radius of the disk increases, the electric field at a given distance from the disk also increases.

5. Can the electric field of a uniform charged disk be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a uniform charged disk can be negative. This occurs when the distance from the disk is greater than the radius, resulting in a negative value for the electric field.