1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation of electric field of uniform charged disk

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field of a uniform charged disk at a point on its axis at a distance x from the disk is given by
    [tex]E = 2k_e\pi\sigma(1-\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}})[/tex]
    where R the radius of the disk and [tex]\sigma[/tex] the surface charge density.
    In my notes it says that when [tex]x\gg R[/tex], that is when the distance x to the disk is much bigger than the radius of the disk, then
    [tex]E\approx k_e\frac{Q}{x^2}[/tex]
    with the Q the total charge on the disk. How do they come to that result?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When [tex]x\gg R[/tex], then [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. But then I get that [tex]E=0[/tex], which is not obviously not correct.
    I guess the approximation that [tex]\sqrt{x^2+R^2}\approx\sqrt{x^2}[/tex] is wrong. But how is the approximation then?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi yoran! :smile:

Always divide so that you get a "1" at the beginning:

√(x²/(x² + R²)) = 1/√(1 + R²/x²) ≈ 1 - R²/2x². :smile:

4. May 30, 2008 #3
    Also Yoran your mistake was that basically you did a 0th order expansion!

If you are not comfy with binomial expansions, you can always MacLaurin expand the function in R/x. You are still using the same thing though-- expanding in R/x instead of x because you want a variable that is small i.e. much less than one (so you can truncate the expansion and still have it legitimately approximate the original function), which R/x satisfies, while just straight up x is very large.

5. May 31, 2008 #4
    Allright then thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?