APS Meetings - General or Undergrad Session?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an undergraduate student presenting at the APS April meeting. The speaker shares their experience with poster and oral presentations at past meetings and suggests contacting APS directly for more information.
ScienceYes
I hope this is the appropriate thread (I am a new user)--I figured any thread may be full of people who attend the APS meetings.
I did a summer REU program, and my advisors want me to submit an abstract to the APS April meeting. I just found out there is an undergraduate session, but that undergraduates can submit to the general session as well-- Not sure which one they had in mind.
My question is: Is it common for undergraduates to do oral presentations in the general session at an APS meeting? Or is that mostly the ones who made an accelerator in their basement and found dark matter in their spare time?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceYes said:
I hope this is the appropriate thread (I am a new user)--I figured any thread may be full of people who attend the APS meetings.
I did a summer REU program, and my advisors want me to submit an abstract to the APS April meeting. I just found out there is an undergraduate session, but that undergraduates can submit to the general session as well-- Not sure which one they had in mind.
My question is: Is it common for undergraduates to do oral presentations in the general session at an APS meeting? Or is that mostly the ones who made an accelerator in their basement and found dark matter in their spare time?
Thanks!

I've done poster presentations at APS April and SEASAPS as an undergrad in 2014; but other undergrads from my school went to the meetings to do oral presentations. One of my friends did her research on RF cavities for particle accelerators at Argonne and she gave an oral presentation about that, she did it at SEASAPS though. I think you would have more luck getting undergrad research into an oral presentation at one of the smaller meetings (APS April is huge), but you never know. You could contact APS directly and see what they say.

1. What is the purpose of APS Meetings?

The American Physical Society (APS) Meetings are annual scientific conferences that bring together physicists from around the world to present their research, collaborate, and discuss the latest developments in the field of physics.

2. Who can attend APS Meetings?

APS Meetings are open to all physicists, including graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and established scientists. Undergraduate students are also encouraged to attend and can present their research in the Undergraduate Session.

3. What is the difference between the General and Undergraduate Sessions?

The General Session is the main part of the APS Meetings, where researchers present their latest findings through talks and poster presentations. The Undergraduate Session is specifically for undergraduate students to present their research and network with other students and professionals in the field.

4. How can I submit an abstract to present at APS Meetings?

Abstracts can be submitted through the APS website during the designated submission period. The abstract should include a clear and concise summary of the research being presented, and it will be reviewed by the program committee for acceptance.

5. Can I attend APS Meetings without presenting my research?

Yes, you can attend APS Meetings as a non-presenting participant. However, presenting your research is a great opportunity to get feedback, gain visibility, and network with other researchers in your field. Non-presenting participants can still attend talks, posters, and other events at the conference.