Arc-length integral with curve giving extremal value

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem and is having difficulty understanding how to use the "multiply by 1" trick.
Leb

Homework Statement

View attachment B3.bmp
For whoever does not want to read the attached problem:

Firstly, I need to express the arc-length from given [itex]x=r\cos\theta, y=r\sin\theta z = f(r), \text{ where } f(r) \text{ is an infinitely differentiable function and } r=r(\theta) \text{ i.e. parameter is } \theta[/itex] I begin with expressing it as [itex]ds = \sqrt{ r^{2} + r'^{2} + f'^{2} }[/itex] is that correct ?

I then need to show that the solutions of those curves are given by:
[itex]r ' ^{2} = r^{2}\frac{\left( \frac{r^{2}}{C} - 1\right)}{1 + f ' ^{2)}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Lagrangian is independent of theta in this case, so I think I can use
[itex]\frac{d}{d\theta}\left( L - r' \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{r'}} \right) = 0 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above, the term in parenthesis is equal to a constant. Differentiating L w.r.t. r' and rearranging I get [itex]r'^{2} = \frac{r^{4}+2f'^{2}r^{2} + f'^{4}-Br^{2} - Bf'{2}}{B}[/itex] where B is a constant. I thought that this uses the good old multiply by "1" trick, but when I tried it it got no cancellations.

I can see the [itex]r^{2}\left( \frac{r^{2}}{C} - 1\right)
[/itex] term in there, but do not know how to get the rest...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the line element ds the following is true ##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2##. Since your curve is on a surface parametrized by ##r## and ##\theta##, and since ##r## itself is a function of ##\theta##, you should end up with ##ds = g(\theta)d\theta##.

Thanks for the reply !
Do you mean I should express [itex]\frac{df}{d\theta} \text{ as } \frac{df}{dr}\frac{dr}{d\theta}[/itex] ?

What I mean is that the expression for ds you got is incorrect. You can derive the correct equation from the expression for ds in the Cartesian coordinates by using the chain rule.

[tex]
ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2
= (d(r \cos \theta))^2 + (d(r \sin \theta))^2 + (d(f(r)))^2
= (dr \cos \theta - r \sin \theta d\theta)^2
+ (dr \sin \theta + r \cos \theta d\theta)^2
+ (f'dr)^2
\\
= dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + f'^2 dr^2
= (1 + f'^2)dr^2 + r^2d\theta^2
\\
= (1 + f'^2)(dr(\theta))^2 + r^2d\theta^2
= (1 + f'^2)(r'd\theta)^2 + r^2d\theta^2
= ((1 + f'^2)r'^2 + r^2)d\theta^2
\\
ds = \sqrt {(1 + f'^2)r'^2 + r^2}d\theta
[/tex]

Thanks for taking the time to type that, but if we parameterize w.r.t. theta, why do we have d \theta ?

Parametrized by ## \theta ## means that the length is a function of ## \theta ##: ## s = s(\theta) ##, thus ## ds = s'd\theta ##.

So I take it that the previous link is rubbish ? Thanks again !

No, it is not rubbish. If you look carefully, the formula I derived equals their formula if f = const. Your problem has three dimensions, not two as they have.

Last edited:
Why should it disappear? Take a very simple example: ## y = x^2 ##. You can say that "y is parametrized by x". Then ## dy = 2x dx ##; x does not disappear. Even if ## y = x ##, you still have ## dy = dx ##.

Well, I am a numpty and always had particular trouble with notation of derivatives and using the "implicit" chain rule.

Anyway, thanks very much for bothering to reply !

Hehe, reparametrization... I always viewed the parameters as an "arbitrary" choice when we are talking about simple curvy curves (not circles or ellipses).

Thanks for the link !

1. What is an arc-length integral?

An arc-length integral is a type of definite integral that calculates the length of a curve. It is used in calculus and is often used to find the distance traveled by an object along a curved path.

2. How is an arc-length integral calculated?

To calculate an arc-length integral, you first need to find the derivative of the curve. Then, you use the derivative to construct an integral that represents the arc length of the curve. Finally, you evaluate the integral using calculus techniques.

3. What is the purpose of using a curve to find extremal value?

Using a curve to find extremal value allows you to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. This can be useful in optimization problems where you want to find the most efficient or optimal solution.

4. Can you give an example of using an arc-length integral with a curve to find extremal value?

Sure, imagine you have a curve that represents the path of a roller coaster. By using an arc-length integral, you can find the length of the track and determine the maximum speed the roller coaster can reach without flying off the track.

5. How is an arc-length integral with a curve giving extremal value related to real-world applications?

Arc-length integrals with curves giving extremal value are commonly used in real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to optimize designs, determine maximum or minimum values, and solve other problems involving curves and extremal values.