1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult simplification for Arc length integral

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the length of the curve
    [itex]x = 3 y^{4/3}-\frac{3}{32}y^{2/3}, \quad -64\le y\le 64[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Integral for arc length (L):
    [itex]L = \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^{2}} dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using symmetry of the interval and the above integral for arc length I got
    [itex]L = 2\int_0^{64} \sqrt{1 + (4y^{\frac{1}{3}-}\frac{1}{16y^{\frac{1}{3}}})^{2}} dy[/itex]

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble integrating this beast. Using Wolfram Alpha as a last resort, I found the integrand can be simplified to this:
    [itex]4y^{\frac{1}{3}}+\frac{1}{16y^{\frac{1}{3}}}[/itex]
    However, I can't see how Worlfram made this simplification. (A step-by-step solution was not available.)

Could someone show me how the the original integrand could be simplified to this form? After that I should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    The expression 4y1/3 - (1/16)y-1/3 isn't dy/dx, it's dx/dy. So the differential in your expression for L should be dy rather than dx. But, OK, to answer your actual question:

The expression under the radical sign can be simplified if you square the parenthesized expression by the rules of high-school algebra. It comes out to 16y2/3 - 1/2 + (1/256)y-2/3, so when you add 1 to it, the -1/2 becomes a +1/2, and the square root is just the same as what was formerly in the parentheses...except now the minus is a plus.

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know the dx and dy are backwards...it's just the generic formula we were given. Sorry for any confusion.

I did expand the expression under the radical and came up with the same expansion you did, but I still could not see a good way to integrate it.

That's when I turned to Wolfram and found the simplification shown in the original post. However, I don't see how to get to that simplification.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  5. Apr 7, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just follow az-lender's lead and factor 16y^(2/3) + 1/2 + (1/256)y^(-2/3) into a perfect square.

6. Apr 8, 2014 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's likely that you were given three formulas: one where y is a function of x, another where x is a function of y, and a third where x and y are functions of a parameter such as t. It's important to know which one to apply to a given situation - you can't just mix and match things.

7. Apr 8, 2014 #6
    Okay thanks for the help everyone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted