Height of 2m arc on cylinder with 4.99m diameter base

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter m32dave
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arc Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
m32dave
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Would really appreciate help with the following:
Firstly, could someone answer this (simple?) question for something I am trying to make?
Secondly, could you give me the most straightforward formula for working it out if I change the length?

Hope this makes sense.
I have a cylinder. I have an arc exactly 2.000m long extending up from the base of the cylinder at 45 degrees following the elliptical arc. The diameter of the base is 4.990m What is the height of the arc? What is the length of the segment across the base, or the length of the arc around the cylinder base perpendicular to the end of the arc.

Big Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you "unroll" a cylinder you get a plane, so you can just use Pitagora's theorem:

height = base length = L/sqrt(2)
 
Petr Mugver said:
If you "unroll" a cylinder you get a plane, so you can just use Pitagora's theorem:

height = base length = L/sqrt(2)

Thanks,for putting it succinctly. I figured the same thing out in my bed last night.