Diameter of a Galaxy: Calculate Distance/Arc Min?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the diameter of a galaxy based on its distance and angular diameter. Multiple formulas were suggested, including Dia = Distance/Arc Min and Dia = Distance x Arc Minutes, but it was noted that these formulas would give different results depending on the unit used. It was also mentioned that the correct formula would involve basic trigonometry and converting the angular measurement to radians. However, without knowledge of the galaxy's inclination and geometry, a direct measurement of its apparent size would have limited value.
NebulaBilly
My last thread got lots of hits and was a success so I thought I would start another discussion based on the Galaxy I was speaking about, In my previous thread we found the distance to the galaxy, now I want to take this further and work at the diameter of the galaxy. If two edges of this galaxy are 4.0 arc minutes apart then to work out the diameter would it be Dia = Distance/Arc Min?. I'm not complete sure about Arc Mins and that formula may be totally incorrect.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch?
NebulaBilly said:
would it be Dia = Distance/Arc Min
That formula would suggest a galaxy with a larger angular diameter has a smaller actual diameter. Does that look realistic?
Also, why would you use arc minutes in such a formula? What is special about 1/60th of a degree?

The problem to solve states the edges are 4.0 arc minutes apart, its why I would include the arc minutes, like I say arc minutes I am not sure about. Also I think I wrote that incorrect Dia = Distance x Arc Minutes

Use the value of 4 arcminutes, sure. But keep the unit there. Don't work with "4". A formula cannot depend on our arbitrary definition of arcminutes.
NebulaBilly said:
Dia = Distance x Arc Minutes
Same question as before: Why arcminutes? Why not Dia = Distance x Arcseconds? Or Dia = Distance x Degrees? Clearly these three formulas will give completely different results, if you use the same angle of 4 arcminutes = 240 arcseconds = 1/15 degree.
If you see a situation like that, you know something has to be wrong. You cannot have "number of arcminutes" appearing in such a formula.

Did you draw a sketch? The correct formula is basic trigonometry.

Yes I mean I could use the basic trigonometry but would you not need the arc minutes in radians? or can it simply be
60.1xTan(8/60), I was trying to come up with a similar way and you are correct they way I am trying to do it I would need to convert arc minutes to seconds and the Mpc to Parsecs

NebulaBilly said:
but would you not need the arc minutes in radians?
How you calculate the tangent of 4 arcminutes is up to you. Converting it to radians is a good idea.

Ok so let's try and do this, so D = dtana if I was to use the numbers 60.1 Mpc and 4 arc minutes converted into radians then it would read D=60.1tan0.01, this looking good so far? that would be 0.01Mpc what if I wanted to used Kpc would = 10?

NebulaBilly said:
Ok so let's try and do this, so D = dtana if I was to use the numbers 60.1 Mpc and 4 arc minutes converted into radians then it would read D=60.1tan0.01, this looking good so far? that would be 0.01Mpc what if I wanted to used Kpc would = 10?

We are not allowed to direct answer things that look like homework problems. mfb's answer looked deliberately vague.

There is an angle angle theorem in geometry. You have one angle. Astronomers assume 90° for the object you are looking at. That makes it the observed width not the actual width. The ratio of the sides of similar triangles are all the same. If the long leg is double size than the shorter leg in the similar triangle is also double size.

A parsec is derived from "parallax second". There are 60 seconds in a minute. 1/15 degree = 4 minutes = 240 seconds.
Mega, M = 1,000,000
kilo, K = 1000
Figure how wide the UFO would be if we knew it was 1 parsec away. Then use AA theorem to get the correct observed diameter.

4 arcmin = 1/15 degree = 1/15 * pi/180 rad, that is less than 0.01.
NebulaBilly said:
that would be 0.01Mpc what if I wanted to used Kpc would = 10?
That looks like the result of a rounding error, but apart from that it is not too far off.

Without some knowledge of the inclination and actual geometry of the galaxy of interest, a direct measurement of apparent size has very limited value. To obtain a proper size it is also useful to know its proper distance.

1. What is the diameter of a galaxy?

The diameter of a galaxy is the distance across its center, from one edge to the other. It is typically measured in light years or parsecs, which are units of distance used in astronomy.

2. How is the diameter of a galaxy calculated?

The diameter of a galaxy can be calculated by measuring the angular size of the galaxy and using the distance to the galaxy to convert it into a physical size. This is done through a process called parallax, which uses the apparent shift of an object's position when viewed from different angles.

3. What is meant by "arc min" in relation to the diameter of a galaxy?

Arc min, or arcminute, is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to measure angular distance. It is equal to 1/60th of a degree, and is often used to describe the size of objects in the night sky, including galaxies.

4. How is the distance to a galaxy determined?

The distance to a galaxy is determined through a variety of methods, such as parallax, redshift, and the use of standard candles. These methods involve measuring the brightness, motion, and other characteristics of the galaxy to estimate its distance from Earth.

5. Can the diameter of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the diameter of a galaxy can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other galaxies, mergers, and the expansion of the universe. This is why it is important for scientists to regularly measure and study the size and evolution of galaxies.