1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Decomposing the arc length of a circular arc segment

1. Jun 26, 2016 #1
    A particle travels along a circular arc segment centered at the origin of the Cartesian plane with radius R, a start angle θ1 and an end angle θ2 (with θ2 ≥ θ1 and Δθ = θ2 - θ2 ≤ 2π). The total distance traveled is equal to the arc length of the segment: L = R(Δθ).

I would like to find the distance covered by the particle along the X axis and the distance covered by the particle along the Y axis.

I'm not sure how to do this unless I break up the arc at each quadrant crossing and analyze the pieces separately.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Distance covered as in "if you go back and forth you count it twice"? You can write down an integral that works in general, but analyzing 2 special cases is easier.

4. Jun 26, 2016 #3
    Yes, exactly - If you go back and forth you count it twice. I'm looking for one elegant expression in terms of x and in terms of y but that may not be possible?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted