Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Decomposing the arc length of a circular arc segment

1. Jun 26, 2016 #1
    A particle travels along a circular arc segment centered at the origin of the Cartesian plane with radius R, a start angle θ1 and an end angle θ2 (with θ2 ≥ θ1 and Δθ = θ2 - θ2 ≤ 2π). The total distance traveled is equal to the arc length of the segment: L = R(Δθ).

I would like to find the distance covered by the particle along the X axis and the distance covered by the particle along the Y axis.

I'm not sure how to do this unless I break up the arc at each quadrant crossing and analyze the pieces separately.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Distance covered as in "if you go back and forth you count it twice"? You can write down an integral that works in general, but analyzing 2 special cases is easier.

4. Jun 26, 2016 #3
    Yes, exactly - If you go back and forth you count it twice. I'm looking for one elegant expression in terms of x and in terms of y but that may not be possible?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted