Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes principle and relativity

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    Is there any relativistic version for Archimedes principle?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I suppose such might exist if you want to get really weird about it, but relativistic effects have essentially no bearing upon any kind of Earth-bound fluid action. How often does something at a speed approaching c fall into a bathtub?

4. May 19, 2008 #3
    Suppose instesd of mass we use energy and our fliud be a relativistic perfect fluid.

5. May 19, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That sort of negates the original question, since such can't exist. I'm getting out of my depth here, so I'm going to wait for someone with a better education to respond.

6. May 19, 2008 #5
    wouldn' t is kinda be hard for the energy to displace the water? o_O then again, i'm not einstein so i dunno.

7. May 1, 2011 #6
    gravity = archimedes principle.

the fabric of spacetime replaces the water in this pple. in the universe there is no up or down, therefore the buyoyancy pressure takes place everywhere around matter until matter becomes spherical.

8. May 2, 2011 #7

Bill_K

Science Advisor

One needs an analog of Archimedes' Principle to discuss hydrostatic equilibrium in the interior of a neutron star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?