Unable to extract messages from stored DBX files

• Thread starter MyronGold666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the speaker recently had to perform a system wipe and reinstall of Windows XP Professional. They backed up their DBX files to a DVD-ROM, but after copying them back to the hard drive, they were unable to retrieve the messages in Outlook Express. They tried using several DBX recovery programs, but they all seemed to run without any errors yet did not successfully retrieve the messages. The speaker suspects that the DBX files may be empty, but wonders if it's possible that they accidentally created shortcuts instead of the actual files.
MyronGold666
I recently was forced to perform a complete system wipe and a reinstall of Windows XP Professional. I copied my DBX files to a DVD-ROM with all my other data, believing they would be available following the reinstall, as in previous undertakings.

However, after copying my DBX folders back to the hard drive, I am unable to drop them into OE and retrieve the messages. I have employed several DBX recovery programs, including Macallan Outlook Express Extraction, DBXtract, DBXConv and several others.

A strange thing happens when I try and use these programs to retrieve the messages or convert the folders' contents into .emls or any other formats: the programs seem to run without any error messages, yet nothing happens. Destination folders remain empty. It's like the DBX files are themselves empty, yet they are the correct file sizes from when I saved them.

So they can't be empty, right?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you didn't accidently create a shortcut? Certain Windows files will create shortcuts by default when you just drag them from where they want to be. It would still show the correct size of the file that it pointed to when you 'saved' it but the data wouldn't be there.

1. What causes the error "Unable to extract messages from stored DBX files"?

This error can occur due to several reasons, such as corruption of the DBX file, improper shutdown of the email client, or changes in the file structure.

2. How can I fix the issue of being unable to extract messages from stored DBX files?

One possible solution is to repair the DBX file using a third-party recovery tool. Another option is to try importing the DBX file into a different email client. If the issue persists, it might be necessary to contact technical support for further assistance.

3. Can I prevent this error from happening in the future?

Yes, you can prevent this error by regularly backing up your DBX files and ensuring proper shutdown of the email client. It is also recommended to regularly run maintenance tasks, such as compacting the files, to prevent corruption.

4. Will I lose any data if I have to repair the DBX file?

It depends on the severity of the corruption. In some cases, a repair tool might be able to recover all the data, while in others, some data may be lost. It is always recommended to create a backup of the DBX file before attempting any repairs.

5. Can I access my emails if I am unable to extract them from the stored DBX files?

If the DBX file is severely corrupted and cannot be repaired, it might not be possible to access the emails. However, if the issue is with the email client itself, you can try accessing your emails through a different client or webmail.