1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arclength of polar cardiod problem

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My textbook sets up the integral, but does not solve, claiming that it's "trivial to solve manually or by using a CAS". I put the integral into my TI-89, and sure enough, there is a solution, and that solution happens to be "8". However...

2. Relevant equations

The actual problem is to find the total arclength of r = 1+sin(x)
    (It's polar, I just let theta = x, since theta is a pain to LaTeX)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my attempt at solving this integral manually:

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{(1+sin^{2}(x))+cos(x)^{2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{2+2sin(x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{2+2sin(x)} \frac{\sqrt{2-2sin(x)}}{\sqrt{2-2sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{\frac{4-4sin^{2}(x)}{2-2sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{\frac{4cos^{2}(x)}{2(1-sin(x))}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{2π}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[itex]u = 1-sin(x)[/itex]
    [itex]du = -cos(x)dx[/itex]

[tex]-\sqrt{2}\int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}du[/tex]

I stopped here, because it's clear to me that the integral from one to one will be zero...

...and now the whole thing equals zero... I have tried doing the integral with substitutions other than [itex]u=1-sin(x)[/itex] to no avail. I tried to devise a way so I could take a limit (much like some improper integral problems are done), no luck. I can't seem to figure this out without using a CAS! It is one thing if I just got to a point where I didn't know how to proceed I could deal with, but I come up with zero every time!

This is my best attempt, I have done it 11 different ways now..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did a pretty dangerous thing there. You said sqrt(cos(x)^2)=cos(x). That's not right. cos(x) is negative for some values in [0,2pi]. It's |cos(x)| isn't it?

4. Nov 8, 2011 #3
    Yeah, that makes sense, good catch. I still have no clue how to proceed though, especially now with the abs in the integral :cry:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{2π}\frac{|cos(x)|}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Split the region of integration up into parts where cos(x) has a definite sign. Isn't that what you usually do with abs problems? It's premature to cry over it.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5
    [tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Since, cos(x) will be positive in that domain.

And;

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Like that? Forgive me, I have never encountered an integral with an abs yet.

So:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

7. Nov 9, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you want to integrate from 0 to 2pi. Integrate separately over the regions [0,pi/2], [pi/2,3pi/2] and [3pi/2,2pi] and add them up with appropriate signs.

8. Nov 9, 2011 #7
    Thanks for the help.

[tex]
    \sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{3π}{2}}^{2π}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx
    [/tex]

(No clue why that sqrt is not showing.)

I see that you are splitting it up for the regions in which cos(x) would be positive or negative, but I am not sure how to sign the cos(x) in the functions. If integrating through the range of pi/2 to 3pi/2, cos(x) would turn out negative anyway? I am not seeing what effect this would have exactly?

Here is how I am imagining the situation:

Suppose you had [itex]\int_{0}^{2π}|sin(x)|dx[/itex].

Since, that integral would be zero if there were no abs value, to handle the abs value case I would split the integral up like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{π}sin(x)dx + \int_{π}^{2π}-sin(x)dx[/tex]

In this way, when sin(x) is negative, the negative that I placed into the split region would force the sin(x) to act positive?

9. Nov 9, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it exactly. Now evaluate those integrals and add them. I get 8.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook