Arclength of polar cardiod problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a polar integral using a TI-89 calculator and encountering difficulties. The participants identify a mistake in the calculation involving the use of absolute value and suggest splitting the integral into separate regions with appropriate signs. The final result is found to be 8.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

My textbook sets up the integral, but does not solve, claiming that it's "trivial to solve manually or by using a CAS". I put the integral into my TI-89, and sure enough, there is a solution, and that solution happens to be "8". However...

Homework Equations

The actual problem is to find the total arclength of r = 1+sin(x)
(It's polar, I just let theta = x, since theta is a pain to LaTeX)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at solving this integral manually:

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{(1+sin^{2}(x))+cos(x)^{2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{2+2sin(x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{2+2sin(x)} \frac{\sqrt{2-2sin(x)}}{\sqrt{2-2sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{\frac{4-4sin^{2}(x)}{2-2sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2π}\sqrt{\frac{4cos^{2}(x)}{2(1-sin(x))}}dx[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{2π}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

[itex]u = 1-sin(x)[/itex]
[itex]du = -cos(x)dx[/itex]

[tex]-\sqrt{2}\int_{1}^{1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}du[/tex]

I stopped here, because it's clear to me that the integral from one to one will be zero...

...and now the whole thing equals zero... I have tried doing the integral with substitutions other than [itex]u=1-sin(x)[/itex] to no avail. I tried to devise a way so I could take a limit (much like some improper integral problems are done), no luck. I can't seem to figure this out without using a CAS! It is one thing if I just got to a point where I didn't know how to proceed I could deal with, but I come up with zero every time!

This is my best attempt, I have done it 11 different ways now..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did a pretty dangerous thing there. You said sqrt(cos(x)^2)=cos(x). That's not right. cos(x) is negative for some values in [0,2pi]. It's |cos(x)| isn't it?

Yeah, that makes sense, good catch. I still have no clue how to proceed though, especially now with the abs in the integral :cry:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{2π}\frac{|cos(x)|}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

QuarkCharmer said:
Yeah, that makes sense, good catch. I still have no clue how to proceed though, especially now with the abs in the integral :cry:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{2π}\frac{|cos(x)|}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Split the region of integration up into parts where cos(x) has a definite sign. Isn't that what you usually do with abs problems? It's premature to cry over it.

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Since, cos(x) will be positive in that domain.

And;

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Like that? Forgive me, I have never encountered an integral with an abs yet.

So:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

QuarkCharmer said:
[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Since, cos(x) will be positive in that domain.

And;

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

Like that? Forgive me, I have never encountered an integral with an abs yet.

So:

[tex]\sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{-π}{2}}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx[/tex]

No, you want to integrate from 0 to 2pi. Integrate separately over the regions [0,pi/2], [pi/2,3pi/2] and [3pi/2,2pi] and add them up with appropriate signs.

Thanks for the help.

Dick said:
No, you want to integrate from 0 to 2pi. Integrate separately over the regions [0,pi/2], [pi/2,3pi/2] and [3pi/2,2pi] and add them up with appropriate signs.

[tex]
\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{3π}{2}}^{2π}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx
[/tex]

(No clue why that sqrt is not showing.)

I see that you are splitting it up for the regions in which cos(x) would be positive or negative, but I am not sure how to sign the cos(x) in the functions. If integrating through the range of pi/2 to 3pi/2, cos(x) would turn out negative anyway? I am not seeing what effect this would have exactly?

Here is how I am imagining the situation:

Suppose you had [itex]\int_{0}^{2π}|sin(x)|dx[/itex].

Since, that integral would be zero if there were no abs value, to handle the abs value case I would split the integral up like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{π}sin(x)dx + \int_{π}^{2π}-sin(x)dx[/tex]

In this way, when sin(x) is negative, the negative that I placed into the split region would force the sin(x) to act positive?

QuarkCharmer said:
Thanks for the help.

[tex]
\sqrt{2}\int_{0}^{\frac{π}{2}}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{π}{2}}^{\frac{3π}{2}}\frac{-cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx + \sqrt{2}\int_{\frac{3π}{2}}^{2π}\frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{1-sin(x)}}dx
[/tex]

(No clue why that sqrt is not showing.)

I see that you are splitting it up for the regions in which cos(x) would be positive or negative, but I am not sure how to sign the cos(x) in the functions. If integrating through the range of pi/2 to 3pi/2, cos(x) would turn out negative anyway? I am not seeing what effect this would have exactly?

Here is how I am imagining the situation:

Suppose you had [itex]\int_{0}^{2π}|sin(x)|dx[/itex].

Since, that integral would be zero if there were no abs value, to handle the abs value case I would split the integral up like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{π}sin(x)dx + \int_{π}^{2π}-sin(x)dx[/tex]

In this way, when sin(x) is negative, the negative that I placed into the split region would force the sin(x) to act positive?

That's it exactly. Now evaluate those integrals and add them. I get 8.

What is the definition of arclength in polar coordinates?

The arclength in polar coordinates is the distance along a curve in polar coordinates, represented by the variable "r", from a starting point to an ending point.

What is the polar cardiod problem?

The polar cardiod problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the arclength of a specific curve in polar coordinates, known as a cardiod. This curve is shaped like a heart and is defined by the equation r = a(1+cos(theta)).

How do you solve for the arclength of a polar cardiod?

To solve for the arclength of a polar cardiod, you can use the formula L = ∫[a,b] √(r² + (dr/dθ)²) dθ, where "a" and "b" are the starting and ending angles of the curve, and r is the equation of the cardiod.

What is the importance of finding the arclength of a polar cardiod?

The arclength of a polar cardiod is important in many applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a particle moving along the curve, or determining the work done by a force acting along the curve. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and geometry.

Are there any real-world examples of the polar cardiod problem?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the polar cardiod problem. For instance, the shape of a bicycle wheel can be approximated by a polar cardiod, and the arclength can be used to calculate the distance traveled by the bike. Additionally, the shape of a satellite orbiting around a planet can also be approximated by a polar cardiod, and the arclength can be used to determine the distance it has traveled.