1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are all atoms of a ferro conductor attracted in a magnetic field?

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    That is what I wondering. When you put a ferromagnetic conductor in a strong magnetic field, the ferro conductor is strongly attracted because of induced strong magnetic dipole moments inside the conductor.
    My question: are all or (atleast a large portion) of the atoms of the conductor "feeling this pull" kind of like how gravity pulls all atoms in matter? An explanation if the answer is either yes or a no would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All atoms with a non-zero magnetic dipole will "feel" the magnetic force.
    Not all the atoms in a magnet will contribute positively to the bulk/net magnetic force.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks Simon. Ok, so its a portion of the atoms then. Good. how large is this portion or how many atoms of a certain ferro material have a non zero dipole, where can I find that out ?

Thanks

5. Dec 18, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just checking in: How did you get on with this question?

The answer to your questions depend a great deal on the specific materials and the circumstances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook