Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are all atoms of a ferro conductor attracted in a magnetic field?

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    That is what I wondering. When you put a ferromagnetic conductor in a strong magnetic field, the ferro conductor is strongly attracted because of induced strong magnetic dipole moments inside the conductor.
    My question: are all or (atleast a large portion) of the atoms of the conductor "feeling this pull" kind of like how gravity pulls all atoms in matter? An explanation if the answer is either yes or a no would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All atoms with a non-zero magnetic dipole will "feel" the magnetic force.
    Not all the atoms in a magnet will contribute positively to the bulk/net magnetic force.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks Simon. Ok, so its a portion of the atoms then. Good. how large is this portion or how many atoms of a certain ferro material have a non zero dipole, where can I find that out ?

Thanks

5. Dec 18, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just checking in: How did you get on with this question?

The answer to your questions depend a great deal on the specific materials and the circumstances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook