Are Cover Versions Better Than the Originals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    even
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
167 replies · 31K views
DiracPool said:
You said that would never happen again, you FRAUD!
The woes of being a teenager sire
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
The woes of being a teenager sire

That's OK, just do something significant with your talents...specifically, make Lee Smolin look small because he has some explanation of the Alpha Magnetic spectrometer results, which are to be released in a few days. I don't know if I like these dinosaurs wandering around a psuedo-Microsoft-type campus thinking they are all that, and wearing T-shirts that say "Perimeter institute" on them. Where's Nathan Hale?
 
I'd love to one day be able to sport an earned Perimeter Institute t - shirt lol.
 
I spent hours composing a post and as always the forum trashed it, so you get this instead. A heavy metal version of the My Little Pony theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVBcm_BZRs

Better post really.
 
Not a cover exactly... better than the real thing(s) if you're ear is tired of hearing both of the originals...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
1977ub said:
Not a cover exactly... better than the real thing(s) if you're ear is tired of hearing both of the originals...

That's good fun. I think that the following mashup is pretty hard to beat though. It's better than either original, which I wouldn't have believed could be done. Alex van Halen is perfect for ABBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-POrLVkOuM If I ever have the money to waste I'll do a mashup of Paul McCartney singing Let It Be over Axis: Bold As Love. That would be f****** awesome.
 
we don't need no stinkin' titles

Wow, this thread has really taken off!

I think I posted this in Best Songs (a long time ago), but it remains one of my all-time favs. A cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRFZFmEq9o

 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Wow, this thread has really taken off!

I think I posted this in Best Songs (a long time ago), but it remains one of my all-time favs. A cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRFZFmEq9o


Oh, I almost forgot about that one! Good pick, lisab. That's one of the best covers ever.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bohemian Rhapsody on a ukelele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida sung in Finnish by the most famous singer in Finland. The duck call solo is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pYnFV77Eo

A solo version of The Police's Message In a Bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fpLmJHLvw

There are thousands of great covers from Japan, but if you aren't familiar with the the originals then some of the effect is lost. Here's one of a familiar number. Yamaha got its start as an electric organ company -- its company logo is three tuning forks -- and has kept up the tradition. They hold contests for children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pS5xzOWbwo
 
Last edited:
Nevermore's reinterpretation of the Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel. It is a reinterpretation rather than a cover, but all the harmonies are in there, though sometimes well hidden. This version made me realize how dark the lyrics already have been in the original version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE
 
lisab said:
Wow, this thread has really taken off!

I think I posted this in Best Songs (a long time ago), but it remains one of my all-time favs. A cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRFZFmEq9o



I always liked that song (ever since I first heard it in Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers"), but never realized it was a cover.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cthugha said:
Nevermore's reinterpretation of the Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel. It is a reinterpretation rather than a cover, but all the harmonies are in there, though sometimes well hidden. This version made me realize how dark the lyrics already have been in the original version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE

I'm such a metalhead, but I have to say this - the S & G original blows this away. And the original is just so much darker for its quiet contemplative brooding delivery.

For the same reason, I like Tori Amos' cover of Slayer's Raining Blood. But in that case, cover and original both have their own virtues to offer.
 
Remember Billy Idol?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
I think I posted this in Best Songs (a long time ago), but it remains one of my all-time favs. A cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane"

This is great, I love it. =)
 
lisab said:
I think I posted this in Best Songs (a long time ago), but it remains one of my all-time favs. A cover of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane"

I love this - was introduced on the Wild At Heart soundtrack. I hadn't actually heard the original.
 
Oh, speaking of OK Computer covers ... Easy Star All-Stars covered the whole album in dub/reggae and it's so good :) It's called Radiodread, here's Subterranean Homesick Alien, which ... if I remember correctly, was a cover already? Bob Dylan?



They've also done Dub Side Of The Moon, which .. is pretty good, but not particularly cohesive, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Dub Band, which is really quite good. Dub is a pretty inoffensive way to re-interpret a tune IMHO.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Love this. Turns out to be a cover of a Yardbirds song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKVTsC4XsQ
 
I like the dub version there. Also reminded of this nice mash-up (ok not a cover again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwicb2g3TNk

but here what's this? an acoustic cover of the mash-up. nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY98H6Vyf-E
 
Cool! I'll see your Karma with the Zombeatles and raise you the Beatnix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfoccRna6I

A Hard Day's Night of the Living Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP6nYs9Il7c
 
ImaLooser said:
Cool! I'll see your Karma with the Zombeatles and raise you the Beatnix.

Quite like the Beatnix. It's fun to listen to the Rutles either as xtra Beatles songs with slight tongue in cheek or to ferret out the original Beatles songs being referenced.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhGVIe1gvg
 
If zombies performed "Tainted Love" it might sound a little like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GUnUGKgWDY
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?v=aroicTD3gj8
 
Tainted Love was originally by Gloria Jones. Later she had a baby with Marc Bolan.

The Lost Fingers do Tainted Love and a bunch of other covers. Here's my fave, an AC/DC number. Nice bass solo. Let's see Cliff Williams do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dIm-NweR8

While we're at it, the Harp Twins do lots of very nice covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWE9x0twn4

My fave of all AC/DC covers is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cjymPx4xJg
 
Last edited:
The Vitamin String Quartet does all sorts of covers. I like their Jimi Hendrix. Especially Manic Depression. It sounds nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74CJs2J-T4

Many Hendrix covers are done by violinists. It's easier to sound like Jimi on a violin than on a guitar. Here's Emilie Autumn doing his Star Spangled Banner while sporting fairy wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kws__FNfgis
 
Here's a Beatles medley-of-covers which I prefer to the real things probably simply because I got to know it before the Beatles versions. I love this whole first Fever Tree album BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKFaeEwRjP0
 
1977ub said:
Here's a Beatles medley-of-covers which I prefer to the real things probably simply because I got to know it before the Beatles versions. I love this whole first Fever Tree album BTW.

Nice@ I never would have found that one.
 
KidzBop: Today's Greatest Hits Sung by Kids for Kids

It's almost sad when the kids version sounds less infantile than the original.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xpKvOj4cSU

Off topic, but my daughter actually drives around with kids music CDs in her car for her kids. I seriously feel she at least needs better quality kids songs if she's going to do that (at least when I have to sit in the car, too!), so I've been looking for better kids songs.

Who knew They May Be Giants has put out several albums of kids songs? There's even a kids album by the Grateful Dead! And Woody Guthrie!
 
Last edited by a moderator: