Compressed R134A refrigerant as a store of energy?

In summary, it looks like refrigerants like R134A are good for storing energy, but they might not be the most efficient option for powering a refrigerator or PC.
seanspotatobusiness
How much energy is used to compress e.g. 0.8 Kg (typical mass in a typical fridge freezer; edit: I've just seen that 0.8 kg is not normal at all; it's more like 150 g - this means my idea should be quite cheap and compete well with rechareable batteries) R134A refrigerant and could it be economical to have extra R134A in a fridge/freezer loop to store potential energy during solar hours or wind energy gluts when energy is cheapest? Could a manufacturer include a larger reservior in the design so it could charge up at the most economical time? Could it compete with LiFe4P batteries (obviously it wouldn't replace batteries but it could let a user use a smaller and therefore cheaper battery)?

It looks like R134A costs about £20 per Kg but is probably cheaper for a manufacturer using it by the ton and I suppose that it doesn't wear out like batteries either.

If you think this question is better answered with a different refrigerant, then that's also interesting to me; I just picked 134A because a quick Google said it was the current preferred type.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Store energy how? As a compressed gas? And recovered as a compressed gas? How would this differ from regular compressed air storage, (which isn't great)? Or are you meaning to store heat? Details are missing and what have you researched tried to calculate on your own?

russ_watters said:
Store energy how? As a compressed gas? And recovered as a compressed gas? How would this differ from regular compressed air storage, (which isn't great)? Details are missing and what have you researched tried to calculate on your own?

Thanks for responding. You'd be deferring energy usage to when it was cheapest or when your solar panels were generating power. Obviously you couldn't efficiently use this to run your PC. You'd use the compressed R134A to cool the inside of a refrigerator/freezer. It would be better than compressed air because R134A undergoes a phase change at convenient temperature and pressure and that phase change involves moving a large amount of heat.

To try to answer the question myself, I looked up "enthalpy of fusion R134A" but instead of getting a single value, there are tables of values for different temperatures and pressures and I don't know what is appropriate to use. Even when I find out how much energy is released on compressing a given mass of refrigerant, I still don't know whether it makes functional sense in the context of how a fridge/freezer works.

seanspotatobusiness said:
Thanks for responding. You'd be deferring energy usage to when it was cheapest or when your solar panels were generating power. Obviously you couldn't efficiently use this to run your PC. You'd use the compressed R134A to cool the inside of a refrigerator/freezer. It would be better than compressed air because R134A undergoes a phase change at convenient temperature and pressure and that phase change involves moving a large amount of heat.
So, there is such a thing as thermal storage, is that what you mean? You aren't trying to get electricity back?

A couple of things to note about thermal storage:

1. The phase change isn't free.
2. The refrigerant is not the storage medium, it's just what you use to run the cooling cycle. The storage medium is usually water/ice.

Likes Lnewqban
Yes, thermal storage; not trying to get electricity back.

I realise that phase change isn't free. That's fine.

So fridge/freezers don't have a reservoir of liquid refrigerant? I hoped that the compressor turned on every so often to fill the reservoir which would then slowly be released into the evaporating coils and then this reservoir could be swapped for a larger one. :( Never mind. Thanks again for responding.

seanspotatobusiness said:
So fridge/freezers don't have a reservoir of liquid refrigerant?
No, there's really no reason why they would. It would just be a waste of refrigerant.

More importantly, you should realize the amount of storage you are talking about is enormous. The US unit of refrigeration is a ton. It means a literal ton of ice per day. My air conditioner for my house has a capacity to provide three of them (though probably only uses about half a ton).

So, ice is used because it is cheap.

:( Never mind. Thanks again for responding.
No prob, you were close at least!

1. What is compressed R134A refrigerant?

Compressed R134A refrigerant is a type of gas that is commonly used as a refrigerant in air conditioning and refrigeration systems. It is also known as 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane and has the chemical formula CH2FCF3.

2. How is compressed R134A refrigerant used as a store of energy?

Compressed R134A refrigerant can be used as a store of energy by compressing it into a liquid state, which increases its density and stores potential energy. This compressed refrigerant can then be used to power a turbine or engine, which converts the stored energy into mechanical or electrical energy.

3. What are the benefits of using compressed R134A refrigerant as a store of energy?

There are several benefits to using compressed R134A refrigerant as a store of energy, including its high energy density, non-toxic and non-flammable properties, and its availability and affordability compared to other energy storage options.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with using compressed R134A refrigerant as a store of energy?

While compressed R134A refrigerant is considered to be a more environmentally friendly option compared to other refrigerants, it is still a greenhouse gas and can contribute to climate change if released into the atmosphere. Proper containment and disposal methods are necessary to prevent environmental harm.

5. How does the efficiency of compressed R134A refrigerant compare to other energy storage options?

Compressed R134A refrigerant has a relatively high efficiency as an energy storage option, with some studies showing a round-trip efficiency of up to 80%. However, its efficiency may vary depending on the specific system and conditions, and it may not be suitable for all energy storage needs.