Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Mobile Phones Safe?

1. Jul 13, 2004 #1
    Are Mobile Phones Safe??????

There seems to be a lot of controversies around the safety of mobile phones, for instance the radiation and heating on skin cells. What is more puzzlikng is that a recent article appeared in my local newspaper claimed, men who carry mobile phone in their pockets produce 30% less sperm than usual men. Where can I find up to dated information on this issue? Most information I found on google are out of date around about 1999.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2004 #2
    If those news are true, I might get rid of my phone. :eek:

4. Jul 13, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your cell phone hardly emits any radiation at all while not being used. Having it in your pocket, separated from your testicles by several inches of leg flesh, is absolutely not going to cause any sort of problems for your fertility. The human body is mostly water, and microwaves hardly penetrate water.

The arguments about having them near your head are more plausible, but it remains that there is no scientifically valid data correlating cell phone use and any sort of brain disease. If you're that concerned, put the phone in a backpack and use a headset.

- Warren

5. Jul 18, 2004 #4
    I agree with chroot and buy a headset, they are becoming more popular and fashionable. I know ongoing tests on cell phones are being done and they have yet to detect any harmful effects from the radiation using any cell phone after like 1990 ;)

6. Jul 18, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may be the source of the news article.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/06/28/mobiles.sperm.reut/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  7. Jul 19, 2004 #6
    just be sure you don't buy a Bluetooth headset .... :biggrin:

8. Jul 19, 2004 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'll go a step further than warren and greg - this is an off-shoot of the "power lines cause cancer" (and "microwave ovens cause cancer") hoax perpetrated by a devious reporter some years ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?