Are Most Motorcycle Fatalities Self-Inflicted or Caused by Other Drivers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
How many motorcyclists kill themselves in traffic accidents, compared to those killed by other drivers?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
How many motorcyclists kill themselves in traffic accidents, compared to those killed by other drivers?

How do you define the difference?
 
With or without helmets?

Do they have statistics on who was to blame? Driver fault?
 
DaveC426913 said:
How do you define the difference?

I think he might mean by their fault as opposed to another drivers fault. Interesting question. I daresay 'own fault' is probably higher than one would think.

I lost an 18 year old nephew to 'own fault'. The consequences to his family, particularly his mother, were severe and very long term.
 
alt said:
I think he might mean by their fault as opposed to another drivers fault.
Indeed. A very tricky thing to determine.


Borg said:
Approximately two thirds of motorcycle accidents involve a car. So, at least a third of motorcyclists could be excluded from being killed by other drivers.
True. Though not sure whether it illuminates or obfuscates the issue.

What percentage of car accidents involve another car? More or less than 2/3rds?
 
I had been thinking of the bumper sticker that to exhorts to pursue those who "kill" motorcyclists.
 
Loren Booda said:
I had been thinking of the bumper sticker that to exhorts to pursue those who "kill" motorcyclists.

Really? There is such a bumper sticker?
 
"Kill a biker, go to jail." It's just not that simple, and the death may apply to a relatively small minority of fatalities involving another vehicle.