Are proofs from calc class needed for EE?

In summary, this person is a first year calculus student who has a lot of trouble understanding the derivation of formulas. He found it troubling when doing center of mass problems because the textbook dedicated 4 pages of work to reach the final formula. He found it helpful when he started doing homework problems and saw the derivation being done in class. He suggests that students participate in study groups.
sk2017
Hi,

I am a first year calculus two student. I found that I have serious trouble understanding the derivation of formulas. For example, I can solve most of the exam problems because they are just using formulas, say arc length = Integral(sqrt( 1+ (dy/dx)^2)dx, but my textbook actually has two pages dedicated to how this formula is derived. I've looked at youtube videos and "kind of" understands it, but certainly not to the degree my textbook explains. I found it extremely troubling when doing center of mass problems, because the textbook dedicated 4 pages of work to reach the final formula, and I can't even find one place online that says anything else than "here's the formula and just use it."

so basically, I can just do algebra provided with a formula (i'm not even good at algebra...), except with integral signs and derivatives. Is one suppose to understand this math stuff for an EE job or is using formulas all that's required?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Wow, don't give up. I remember when I was a senior in engineering school. I recall thinking that learning how to derive my own equations to fit the problem was by far the most valuable skill I learned in all my years of school. Facts you can look up in books. Even specific concepts and understanding of physics may or may not be useful on your job. But two things are certainly useful for engineers, 1) doing your own derivations, and 2) a feel for numbers so that you can guess the approximate answer without calculating. Slide rules in my day, helped a lot with #2.

But learning how to derive equations is not the subject of any course I had. Just seeing it done in class and then doing homework problems is what makes the light bulb light eventually.

Do you participate in study groups? Sometimes students learn best from each other.

I repeat, don't give up.

Likes sk2017 and cnh1995
As an EE, I agree with anorlunda. The ability to derive things is a useful skill for EE.

However, in my case it took years to really develop the skill. I started to work at it my sophomore year, after watching my physics TA skillfully answer any question we asked by starting from first principles and deriving the answer.

For me, whenever a subject captured my imagination (electromagnetism and probability my sophomore year) i would spend some time learning some of the derivations and practicing related derivations that often showed up as example problems in textbooks. Time limitations of course meant that I had to pick and choose when to invest time this way (you will not have time to do everything!)

I also found that I really learned to understand calculus derivations in subsequent physics and engineering classes. So you will have many more opportunities to learn this stuff. Likewise, next year you will probably learn vector calculus, and your upper division eletromagnics course will help you understand it better.

So do not fret. You are on the same track many of us were at your stage.

Jason

Likes sk2017
Thanks for sharing! I feel much better

1. What is the purpose of proofs in calculus class?

The purpose of proofs in calculus class is to teach students how to logically and rigorously prove mathematical statements and concepts. This skill is important in understanding and applying advanced mathematical concepts, and is also valuable in fields such as engineering and science.

2. How are proofs in calculus class relevant to electrical engineering?

Proofs from calculus class are relevant to electrical engineering because they help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field. Additionally, many concepts in electrical engineering are based on mathematical principles that are proven using calculus techniques.

3. Are proofs from calculus class necessary for success in electrical engineering?

While proofs from calculus class may not be directly used in everyday tasks in electrical engineering, they are important for building a strong foundation in mathematical thinking and problem-solving. These skills are essential for success in the field and are often tested in job interviews.

4. Can I skip learning proofs in calculus class if I plan on majoring in electrical engineering?

It is not recommended to skip learning proofs in calculus class even if you plan on majoring in electrical engineering. These concepts build upon each other and skipping them may lead to difficulties in understanding more advanced topics. Additionally, as mentioned before, these skills are valuable in the field of electrical engineering.

5. How can I improve my understanding of proofs in calculus class for electrical engineering?

To improve your understanding of proofs in calculus class for electrical engineering, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, you can also seek out resources such as online tutorials or textbooks that provide step-by-step explanations and examples of proofs in calculus.