Are the Mean Values of Two Variables Related by a Square Root?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Statistics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi all.

Lets say I have two variables yk and xk. I also have two mean values given by:

[tex] <y_k^2> = \frac{1}{N}\sum_1^N{y_k^2} \quad \text{and} \quad <x_k^4> = \frac{1}{N}\sum_1^N{x_k^4}.[/tex]

Now I am looking at the expression (<xk4> <yk2>)1/2.

Question: Is it correct that:

[tex] <y_kx_k^2> = \sqrt{<x_k^4><y_k^2>}.[/tex]

Personally, I don't think so, because ultimately it would mean that I would have to make two sums into one sum, which I can't.. but I am in doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Niles.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Per your notation (< ... >), <yk2> denotes the mean of the squared values of yk.

So <xk4yk2> would be the sum of the products of xk4yk2, divided by N, which is not the same as (<xk4> <yk2>)1/2.
The latter would just be the square root of (the mean of the x^4 terms times the mean of the y^2 terms).
 
Yeah, just what I thought.. so they are not the same.

Thanks.