Are there really people like this?

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
In summary, this person is a complete idiot who doesn't understand anything about science or theology.
selfAdjoint said:
So what do the good religious people do to counter the effects of the bad? When I was a pious Catholic there were lots of good works offered, but none of them addressed the problems of people who assassinate abortion doctors.
Using your example: a large chunk of the Christian belief is to not judge the sinner, but judge the sin. Would that not apply to cases where abortion doctors are assasinated? Do the religious do that much less than the non-religious?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something about this made me wonder, even though it's really a different topic...when you have a contract that includes an exemption for "acts of God", if you're an atheist, does that give you an out on that clause?

Moonbear said:
Something about this made me wonder, even though it's really a different topic...when you have a contract that includes an exemption for "acts of God", if you're an atheist, does that give you an out on that clause?

No, the clause then reads: "Exemption for seemingly bizarre confluences of unfortunate evidents only explicable through the use of Nonlinear Dynamics and chaos theory and one friggin big supercomputer."

Personally, I am pretty confident it is a tongue-in-cheek letter.

The following line:

"Clearly things rise or fall based solely upon divine will. We do not float away because God chooses that we should not."

is stated so matter-of-factly that the intended reaction is surely eye-rolling disbelief. The writer is a scientist who is caricaturizing (stereotyping) a religious zealot.

In reality, even the strongest of religious believers would not be so ham-fisted as this with his claims of what "everbody knows to be obvious".

"I find it common that when people see the ridicilous nature of religious extremist, they somehow develop a bias against regular, "good" religious believers. "

"So what do the good religious people do to counter the effects of the bad?"

This suffers from the folly of generalization. "Good religious people" are not responsible for the actions of religious extremists. (Or do you also feel that all males are responsible for the sex crimes committed by a few male offenders.)

The way I look at it now, is that perhaps God did intend us to stay here.

The truly beautiful thing is that God "created" this universe and there so happens to be a beautiful mathematical model behind it. As physicists, we are concerned about the beauty of nature and that is the mathematical model of the universe.

JasonRox said:
The truly beautiful thing is that God "created" this universe and there so happens to be a beautiful mathematical model behind it.
But that's only a myth.

Evo said:
But that's only a myth.

That's why I said "created".

I simply agree with the religious and add that I love the beauty behind nature, and that is what I'm studying. I don't care where they put God because arguing about it is stupid.

Note: I don't if I believe in God or not.

Back