1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Are these CHEM courses too much to take?

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if studying these CHEM courses all in the same year would be too much for a person that is studying Biotechnology, and thus I am taking 4 other Biology courses with another needed humanities credit.

The CHEM courses are:
    1. Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
    2. Introductory Physical Chemistry
    3. Inorganic Chemistry I
    4. Introductory Organic Chemistry I
    5. Introductory Organic Chemistry II

Now (1), (3), and (4) are in the same semester and the other two are in the next semester. Is this though still too tough to take in the same year or is possible to obtain a good grade, which is somewhere in the range of 80%+? Or am I just being way too foolish?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which classes have labs?

4. Jul 22, 2008 #3
    That would be:
    1. Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
    2. Introductory Physical Chemistry
    3. Inorganic Chemistry I
    4. Introductory Organic Chemistry II

Looking at the the timetable for my school, these courses all have PRACTICAL times which are Lab times in this case. I am also taking 4 BIO courses in which one of them has labs and the other is pure lab course.

5. Jul 22, 2008 #4
    [*]Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry
    - this course is HELL

[*]Introductory Physical Chemistry
    - easy

[*]Inorganic Chemistry I
    -meh, not too bad

[*]Introductory Organic Chemistry I
    -easy

[*]Introductory Organic Chemistry II
    -hard

... so thats 3.5 labs in a year. And physical chem labs aren't really labs. Yes, this is doable. But you will be at your desk often typing the reports. If you have to drop one, make it analytical. Its definately the hardest.

6. Jul 22, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took analytical and organic chemistry, and I agree with Howers that analytical is the most difficult lab.

But what you should realize about labs is that they just eat up your time - even the easy ones. I didn't find organic particularly difficult but the labs can't be rushed, and if you're in lab you don't have time to do homework from other classes.

You really should ask a couple chemistry department professors if your plan is feasible.

7. Jul 22, 2008 #6
    I will see if I can make an appointment with my program advisor as he is also part of the Chemistry department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?