Are these General GRE scores decent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of GRE scores for admission to graduate programs, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is noted that while a high score on the general GRE may not be necessary for admission to physics programs, a high score on the physics GRE is crucial. The conversation also mentions the strategies for studying and preparing for the physics GRE, including getting hold of released tests and focusing on actual GRE problems. There is also a brief discussion about the scoring system for the GRE, with a 1/4 point deduction for incorrect answers.
WarPhalange
Quantitative: 90% 780
Verbal: 85% 600
Analytical Writing: 58% 4.5 :(

I haven't taken the physics subject GRE yet. I thought I would do better with the analytical writing, to be honest... but I'm not sure how people grade that. I would think it would be more important than the verbal, though, which is why I'm a sad panda today. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no "decent" GRE score; It's only used as a metric by which you can be automatically rejected from somewhere.

They are good for a non-native english speaker, I think. Mine were close to those.

Snap... I'm fluent...

I think 85th percentile in Verbal is good even for native speakers. I think top grad schools say you have to be above 80th percentile to be competitive.

I think top grad schools say you have to be above 80th percentile to be competitive.

For physics? Gosh, I'm pretty sure even the top 5 engineering grad schools have an average GRE verbal of much less than 600.

I know they generally don't look at your verbal, but is the analytical writing that important?

Physics GRE is way more important than the general GRE. Nobody cares if you get a great general GRE but bomb the physics.

JasonJo said:
Physics GRE is way more important than the general GRE. Nobody cares if you get a great general GRE but bomb the physics.

What he said. If you seriously bomb the general GRE, I'm sure that some schools will reject you. But your general GRE is fine (more than fine, actually), so it won't be a hindrance. But will it actually help you? Probably not.

Physics grad programs don't care about the general GRE. They care a lot about your physics GRE. So I would spend a lot of time studying for this. If you get a high score, it'll open a lot of doors to good schools.

what constitutes a 'fine' score on the general gre? 500-550 range? so anything below taht is 'bombing'?

JasonJo said:

Don't these comments contradict each other?

cristo said:
Don't these comments contradict each other?

I believe he's insinuating that if you are average on the General GRE but 990 the Physics GRE...your gen GRE will become much less of an eyesore.

Conversely, if you are top 1% on the General GRE but 400 the Physics GRE...you might get some suggestions to go into one of the "soft" sciences.

I agree he worded it a bit awkwardly.

arunma said:
What he said. If you seriously bomb the general GRE, I'm sure that some schools will reject you. But your general GRE is fine (more than fine, actually), so it won't be a hindrance. But will it actually help you? Probably not.

Physics grad programs don't care about the general GRE. They care a lot about your physics GRE. So I would spend a lot of time studying for this. If you get a high score, it'll open a lot of doors to good schools.

Yeah, I've been studying and will continue to study up until the day of the test. It's disheartening to realize how much physics I've forgotten from just last year. And it also sucks that a lot of the material on it I won't learn until this year after I take the test.

Main advice I've gotten is to get a hold of all 4 tests floating around and just cram the hell out of it for as long as possible. Nothing else compares for preparation.

WarPhalange said:
Main advice I've gotten is to get a hold of all 4 tests floating around and just cram the hell out of it for as long as possible. Nothing else compares for preparation.

Yeah, that is what I heard. Focus on the actual released PGRE problems, not problems from elsewhere. Also, the 2001 test (Green Cover, they send it to you when you register) is supposed to be the most representative to the new test in both content and scoring.

WarPhalange said:
Yeah, I've been studying and will continue to study up until the day of the test. It's disheartening to realize how much physics I've forgotten from just last year. And it also sucks that a lot of the material on it I won't learn until this year after I take the test.

Sounds like a plan. From my experience taking the physics GRE, there really aren't that many secret tricks or anything involved. There's a few general guidelines that apply to standardized tests. For example, don't read the directions, answer all the questions (since they don't take off points for wrong answers), use the process of elimination, etc. But really if you just do a ton of physics GRE problems, then you should be good to go.

arunma said:
(since they don't take off points for wrong answers)
I believe they do, in fact, take off points for incorrect answers.
-1/4 point for incorrect answer,
0 points for an omitted answer,
1 point for a correct answer.

mrjeffy321 said:
I believe they do, in fact, take off points for incorrect answers.
-1/4 point for incorrect answer,
0 points for an omitted answer,
1 point for a correct answer.

It would still be beneficial to answer every question then, even if you had no idea.

proton said:
what constitutes a 'fine' score on the general gre? 500-550 range? so anything below taht is 'bombing'?

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I haven't taken the GRE but from my physics GRE practices I'll probably aced the physics one but do pretty badly on the general one. I really want to apply to the top grad schools so how hard should I work for the general GRE? (I'm not a native speaker...if that matters)

1. What is considered a decent score on the General GRE?

Decent scores on the General GRE vary depending on the program and institution you are applying to. Generally, a score above the 50th percentile is considered competitive.

2. How are scores on the General GRE calculated?

Scores on the General GRE are calculated based on the number of correct answers in each section. The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are scored on a scale of 130-170, while the Analytical Writing section is scored on a scale of 0-6.

3. Is it possible to retake the General GRE if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, you can retake the General GRE up to five times within a 12-month period. However, keep in mind that all of your scores from the past five years will be visible to the institutions you are applying to.

4. Do I need to take the General GRE for all graduate programs?

No, not all graduate programs require the General GRE. Some may require other standardized tests, while others may not require any at all. It is important to check the requirements of each program you are interested in.

5. How long are General GRE scores valid?

General GRE scores are valid for five years from the date you took the test. After five years, your scores will no longer be available to send to institutions.