1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these invertible? Why or why not?

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    a.) sech x on (0,infinity)

b.) cos (ln x) on (0, e^pi)

c.) e^(x^2) on (-1,2)

I am stuck and have no clue. I have only been able to get through basic questions like this, how do you complete these?

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

whats the definition of invertible? good place to start...

welcome to pf by the way ;)

it generally works here by you having an attempt & and people will help steer you through the problem - though you still do the work

4. May 19, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual strategy is to sketch a graph of each function and try to figure out whether each horizontal line intersects the graph at most once. What do you say for those three examples?

5. May 19, 2010 #4
    Quick question - how do you plot a function like sechx, cos(lnx), etc with a scientific calculator?
    Do you need to actually rearrange to see if its invertible or is there a other method? (aka just by looking?)

a) sechx is not 1-1 (can tell from plotting it)

b) Not sure

c) not 1-1 (from graph)

6. May 19, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not much on calculators so I can't answer the first question, but if you plotted sech(x) then, yes, it's not invertible, BUT you are only looking at the (0,infinity) part. Do you want to rethink that opinion? To prove a function is NOT invertible you only need to find two values of x, say x1 and x2 such that f(x1)=f(x2).

7. May 19, 2010 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Indeed, with sech(x), you need to look only at the positive numbers. Be careful there.

Also, cos(ln(x)) is easy to do on a TI calculator. Just make sure you know your bounds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook