Equilibrium of a Rigid Body: Finding Unknown Mass on a Lever

In summary, the problem involves finding the unknown mass on a lever that is balanced on a fulcrum. The given information includes the distances and masses of the known weights on either side of the fulcrum, as well as the location of the unknown mass. The equations of static equilibrium can be used to solve for the unknown mass by substituting the known values into the equations.
Mookie

Homework Statement

Find the unknown mass on a lever (see-saw). I have three masses. To the right of the fulcrum, the mass is 166 g and it is 25.15 cm from the fulcrum. There are two masses to the left. One is 166 g and is 16.95 cm from the fulcrum. The unknown mass is 3.33 cm from the fulcrum. The lever is balanced on the fulcrum. This is a lab set up using a meter stick, fulcrum (5) 100 g masses, 4 weight hangers (16 g each), 3 hook masses (50 g each)

Homework Equations

∑F=0 => ∑Fx=0 & ∑Fy=0
∑τ(about any axis)=0 => ∑τclockwise = ∑τcounter-clockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble starting the problem because the unknown mass is on the same side with a known mass. I understand how to do this for one mass on each side but throwing another variable into the equation has me stumped. I do know that to solve for this equation i have to use the information about torque. The torque is zero due to equilibrium

Physics news on Phys.org
This is more of an algebra problem than anything else.

You have the equations of static equilibrium in the OP. Why haven't you started using the KNOWN masses and distances and substituted them into these equations? You can use 'm' or 'x' for the unknown mass and you are given its distance from the fulcrum. You won't get anywhere just staring at a blank piece of paper.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium of a rigid body?

The equilibrium of a rigid body refers to a state where the net force and net torque acting on the body are both equal to zero. This means that the body is not accelerating or rotating, and is in a stable, balanced position.

2. How is the equilibrium of a rigid body different from static equilibrium?

The equilibrium of a rigid body is a specific type of static equilibrium, where the body is not only stationary but also not rotating. In static equilibrium, the body may be stationary but can still be rotating around its center of mass.

3. What are the conditions for a rigid body to be in equilibrium?

In order for a rigid body to be in equilibrium, there must be no net force acting on the body and no net torque acting on the body. This can be achieved through a combination of balanced forces and/or balanced torques.

4. How can the equilibrium of a rigid body be analyzed?

The equilibrium of a rigid body can be analyzed using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion and the concept of moments. This involves breaking down all the forces and torques acting on the body and determining if they are balanced or not.

5. Why is the concept of equilibrium of a rigid body important in engineering and physics?

The concept of equilibrium of a rigid body is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and structures that are at rest. It is also essential in designing stable and safe structures, as well as in analyzing the forces and stresses acting on them.