1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these two sub-sigma-algebras independent?

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]\Omega=\{HH,HT,TH,TT\} [/tex] and let [tex]F [/tex] and [tex]U [/tex] be two partitions of [tex] \Omega: F=\{G,K\} [/tex] with [tex]G=\{HH,TT\} [/tex] and [tex]K= \Omega\backslash G[/tex], while [tex]U=\{V,W\} [/tex] where [tex]V=\{HH,TH\} [/tex] and [tex]W= \Omega\backslash V[/tex].

If [tex]2^\Omega[/tex] is the [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra of [tex]\Omega[/tex], and [tex]A=2^F [/tex] and [tex]B=2^U [/tex] are the sub-[tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras of [tex]F [/tex] and [tex]U [/tex] (respectively), are [tex]A [/tex] and [tex]B [/tex] independent?

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]A [/tex] and [tex]B [/tex] are independent if, for any [tex]a \in A [/tex] and [tex]b \in B[/tex], [tex] \Pr(a \cap b) = \Pr(a) \Pr(b) [/tex].

So let's say [tex]a=G[/tex] and [tex]b=V[/tex]. Then [tex] \Pr(G \cap V) = \Pr(HH) [/tex]. Now if the two [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras are independent, [tex] \Pr(G)\Pr(V) = \Pr(HH) [/tex].

Since [tex] \Pr(G) = \Pr(HH) + \Pr(TT) [/tex] and [tex]\Pr(V) = \Pr(HH) + \Pr(TH)[/tex] we need to show [tex](\Pr(HH) + \Pr(TT))(\Pr(HH) + \Pr(TH))=\Pr(HH)[/tex].

Now, permit me for not writing out all my algebra, but I'm just not seeing it...
    I want to say A and B must be independent because, e.g., if you know G happened (either 2 H's or 2 T's), you still don't know anything about the probability of V or W (an H second, or a T second). Is this right, or am I thinking about it all wrong? I am still trying to get a grasp on this whole sigma-algebra concept, so please go easy on me.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    Ok, so me thinks they are not in general independent. If we know G happened, we do indeed have information to update our probability of V (or W).

E.g., if the probabilities over [tex]\Omega=\{HH,HT,TH,TT\} [/tex] are given by the 4-vector [tex](q,r,s,1-q-r-s)[/tex], then
    [tex] \Pr(G \cap V) = \Pr(HH) = q [/tex],
    [tex] \Pr(G) = \Pr(HH) + \Pr(TT) = 1-r-s[/tex] and
    [tex]\Pr(V) = \Pr(HH) + \Pr(TH) = q+s[/tex],
    so [tex] \Pr(G)\Pr(V) = \Pr(G \cap V) [/tex] only in the special case [tex] (1-r-s)(q+s)=q[/tex] or [tex]q=r(1-r-s)/(r+s) [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook