1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob(2 heads | first flip is head)

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    EDIT: I think I may have solved it a few minutes after I posted. See below for proposed solution ...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine [itex]\textrm{Prob}(2 \textrm{heads}|\textrm{first flip is head})[/itex] by using the formula [itex]P(B|A) = \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)}[/itex]. Specifically, determine what the sets A and B are .

2. The attempt at a solution

Clearly the state space has collapsed to [itex]\Omega = \{HH, HT\}[/itex], and the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra is [itex]\bf{F}=\{\{ \},\Omega,\{HH\},\{HT\}\}[/itex]. Let Z be the event [itex]Z = \{HH\}[/itex] within [itex]\Omega[/itex].

The probability is easily computed as the cardinality of Z divided by the cardinality of the [itex]\Omega[/itex], i.e. Prob(2 heads|first flip is head) = 0.5.

My problem is that I can't figure out what sets A and B are supposed to be such that [itex]P(B|A) = \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)}[/itex] gives me 50%.

EDIT: I think I might have solved it. Let A = {HH,HT} and B = {HH}, then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {HH}, and Prob({HH})=0.25.

The denominator is P({HH,HT}) = 2/4 = 0.5.

0.25/0.5 = 50%, which is the correct solution.

Feel free to delete if this is correct ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Re: [itex]\textrm{Prob}(2 \textrm{heads}|\textrm{first flip is head})[/itex]

Yes that's correct. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook