Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are vectors assumed to be with respect to a standard basis?

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    For example, if were given only a vector <5, 3, 1>, is this assumed to be respect with the standard basis of R^3?

And would this mean that any nonstandard basis is with respect to a standard basis?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are free to expand a vector against any basis set you like.
    For your example, any set of three vectors that form a basis for R^3 is fine.

There is a standard representation though - from the rules for vector spaces.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The vector (5,3,1) is defined without reference to any basis at all. R3 is lists of three real numbers, and (5,3,1) is a list of three real numbers. It turns out that this is a vector space and that it has a basis for which (5,3,1) = 5e1 + 3e2 + 1e3 but that's totally incidental to the definition of (5,3,1)

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4
    So (5,3,1) with no reference to a basis is NOT a vector? And the lists of R^3 happen to be vectors because R^3 satisfy the properties of a vector space?

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5
    There's no definition of what is/isn't a vector. There's a definition of a vector space, and given a vector space we call its elements "vectors".

It's exactly as Office_Shredder put it:
    - We define the set [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex] as the set of ordered triples of real numbers.
    - For any real number [itex]c \in \mathbb R[/itex] and any ordered triple [itex]x\in \mathbb R^3[/itex], we define what we mean by [itex]cx \in \mathbb R^3[/itex].
    - For any two ordered triples [itex]x,y\in \mathbb R^3[/itex], we define what we mean by [itex]x+y \in \mathbb R^3[/itex].
    Then it turns out that these things together satisfies what we call a vector space.

All of this makes sense without needing to define the word "vector".

7. Aug 26, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

A vector exists independent of any basis you choose to represent it in. If ##V## is a vector space then ##v\in V## is a vector, that's all. You can choose a basis ##(e_i)## for ##V## and represent ##v## as ##v = \sum v_i e_i## and further express ##v## relative to this basis in coordinate form ##[v]_{(e_i)} = (x_1,...,x_n)## by passing over to ##K^n## where ##K## is the field that ##V## is over.

8. Aug 26, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm wondering if this question is more about notation than basis sets.

if ##\small \{\vec{u},\vec{v},\vec{w}\}## is an arbitrary basis for ##\small \mathbb{R}^3##, then is ## \small <x,y,z>=x\vec{u}+y\vec{v}+z\vec{w}## ?

I don't know if I'm putting this well.

If you see <5,3,1> written down, with no other information but that it is a vector, it is safe to expand it as 5<1,0,0>+3<0,1,0>+<0,0,1>.

Another basis, written in terms of the standard one, may be {<1,1,0>,<1,-1,0>,<0,0,1>} ... we would not expect <5,3,1> to mean 5<1,1,0>+3<1,-1,0>+<0,0,1> unless we are told that it does.

However, three numbers written like that could be a list of data, or a spherical-polar position, or just a row of text characters - depending on context. If <5,3,1> is the only thing on the page, you have no information.

Does that answer the question?

9. Aug 27, 2013 #8
    For a bit of context, this arised from an example in Anton's linear algebra text; in the first part he showed how to find the coordinate vector of a given vector (I'm gonna call it <5, 3, 1>) in terms of a given nonstandard basis S.
    Next part, find a vector in R^3 whose coordinate vector with respect to S is <3, 2, 4>.

So a list of numbers in R^3, (5, 3, 1) exists independent of a basis but happens to have that same representation with respect to the standard basis of R^3 (and also happens to be a vector?)

10. Aug 27, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is correct.

11. Aug 28, 2013 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

12. Aug 29, 2013 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yep - I wondered if this could have been the motivation of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook