Are you from the UK, USA or Canada?

In summary, the topic of whether someone is from the UK, USA, or Canada can be determined by their accent, nationality, and cultural background. While these countries share English as their official language, there are distinct differences in their dialects, customs, and traditions. It is important to recognize and respect these differences when interacting with individuals from these countries. Additionally, each nation has its own unique history, political system, and societal norms, which contribute to their distinct identities. Overall, whether someone is from the UK, USA, or Canada, it is important to embrace and celebrate their heritage and diversity.

Where are you from?

• Canada

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • USA

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • UK (+ROI)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Rest of World

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters
mr-tom
Just wondering where most people on this forum are from. Obviously most will be from America. When I first came on I just assumed everyone was from the UK so I want to know more specifically now.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr-tom said:
Just wondering where most people on this forum are from. Obviously most will be from America. When I first came on I just assumed everyone was from the UK so I want to know more specifically now.

I didn't think so; I thought it would be a mixed bag.

Besides that: it is nice to talk to people from elsewhere.

Wow, with only Canada, the US and the UK, the rest of world is going to be really a large sampling, Europe, Asia, Africa, etc...

Hmm, what about us aliens?

wolram said:
Hmm, what about us aliens?

World is not restricted to Earth, I presume.

What if I was born somewhere, I live somewhere else, but aim at becoming a citizen of yet another class in your poll ? (that's really true)

I swear. Always got to be difficult don't you. It's funny.

* Active Worlds
* Club Penguin
* Google Lively
* Habbo Hotel
* World of Kaneva
* Meez
* Nicktropolis
* Roma Victor
* Second Life
* SmallWorlds
* There
* The Sims Online
* Worlds
* Yoowalk
* Zwinky

:confused:
I live here in penguin world
http://play.clubpenguin.com/miniclip.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
humanino said:
What if I was born somewhere, I live somewhere else, but aim at becoming a citizen of yet another class in your poll ? (that's really true)
Sorry humanino, according to this poll, you are in the "rest of world". I guess the "rest of the world" doesn't count as much as the countries specifically mentioned. But at least you are in fine company. :cool:

tribdog said:
I swear. Always got to be difficult don't you. It's funny.
Do you have those idioms :
"The pot that calls the kettle black"
"One donkey chides the other for being a long-ear"
"The donkey called the rooster a fathead"
"An armadillo telling a turtle it is too hard shelled"
?
You know, being from the rest of ze world, I speak difficult :-p

humanino said:
Do you have those idioms :
"The pot that calls the kettle black"
"One donkey chides the other for being a long-ear"
"The donkey called the rooster a fathead"
"An armadillo telling a turtle it is too hard shelled"
?
You know, being from the rest of ze world, I speak difficult :-p

I wasn't specifically talking about you, but you are right. I am ashamed and I prostrate myself and beg forgiveness.
Edit: almost said prostate, and spell checker would have let me.

Evo said:
Sorry humanino, according to this poll, you are in the "rest of world". I guess the "rest of the world" doesn't count as much as the countries specifically mentioned. But at least you are in fine company. :cool:

Didn't someone previously try a poll similar to this one, and they tried break-downs to include as many countries or areas or continents, and it all got controversial and messed up? :smile: This is a loaded subject, I think.

GeorginaS said:
Didn't someone previously try a poll similar to this one, and they tried break-downs to include as many countries or areas or continents, and it all got controversial and messed up? :smile: This is a loaded subject, I think.
Yes, I remember that one. There aren't enough options to make everyone happy. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Wow, with only Canada, the US and the UK, the rest of world is going to be really a large sampling, Europe, Asia, Africa, etc...

The UK is in Europe...

brewnog said:
The UK is in Europe...
This is debatable even geography wise :-p

I should have put more English speaking countries like Australia and New Zealand. But they're more like holiday resorts than actual countries so they don't count :)

mr-tom said:
I should have put more English speaking countries like Australia and New Zealand. But they're more like holiday resorts than actual countries so they don't count :)

Ooooo...dem's fightin' words, mr-tom :wink: !

This must be BY FAR the dumbest poll ever

ciao
marlon, from the rest of the world

marlon said:
I disagree. This is far less dumb than "who is the greatest scientist ever"
Einstein !
No ! Newton !
No ! Socrates !
No ! Kaku !
No ! Zz ! <---- to which everybody eventually agrees on PF :smile:

USA!...USA!...*shaking fist in air*...USA!

marlon said:

I'm not going to name every single country, I did this poll to see what the ratio of British to non-British is. So it's actually a very effective poll.

mr-tom said:
I'm not going to name every single country, I did this poll to see what the ratio of British to non-British is. So it's actually a very effective poll.

Sorry mr-tom...we're just goshing you :smile: . Well at least I am...can't speak for the others...

mr-tom said:

So why not just I am British/I am not British? How do you classify those from US & Canada?

Borek said:
So why not just I am British/I am not British? How do you classify those from US & Canada?

I wonder if he is considering US&Canada = British. Yep, I am British/I ain't looks more good!

Borek said:
I would advocate a poll asking "I'm from here/I'm from somewhere else". This is less controversial.

rootX said:
I wonder if he is considering US&Canada = British. Yep, I am British/I ain't looks more good!

more good? nice grammar. it's gooder.

tribdog said:
Really, you should be more nice. Did I mention that two times today ?

humanino said:
I would advocate a poll asking "I'm from here/I'm from somewhere else". This is less controversial.

...but then, wouldn't everyone vote "I'm from here"... :-p ?

lisab said:
Well, I would vote "I'm from somewhere else" but we could also have an option "I'm not from anywhere" or even "I have not collapsed, still am in a pure state of momentum, therefore I am from everywhere". But I think "being from everywhere" qualifies as "being from anywhere" therefore in particular "being from here". It is questionable though. Less clear is, if you think you are from "nowhere" whether this is actually "somewhere else".

lisab said:
You forget this is GD. :rolleyes:

humanino said:
Really, you should be more nice. Did I mention that two times today ?

seriously? gooder is incorrect grammar too. that's why its funny.

humanino said:
Well, I would vote "I'm from somewhere else" but we could also have an option "I'm not from anywhere" or even "I have not collapsed, still am in a pure state of momentum, therefore I am from everywhere". But I think "being from everywhere" qualifies as "being from anywhere" therefore in particular "being from here". It is questionable though. Less clear is, if you think you are from "nowhere" whether this is actually "somewhere else".

I think if you were in a pure state of momentum, the probability of being exactly here would be zero.

And I guess there would have to be a "null state" option to accommodate those who think they are from nowhere.

tribdog said:

Thank you for pointing that out.
I think my grammar is gooder now :smile: