Are you from the UK, USA or Canada?

In summary, the topic of whether someone is from the UK, USA, or Canada can be determined by their accent, nationality, and cultural background. While these countries share English as their official language, there are distinct differences in their dialects, customs, and traditions. It is important to recognize and respect these differences when interacting with individuals from these countries. Additionally, each nation has its own unique history, political system, and societal norms, which contribute to their distinct identities. Overall, whether someone is from the UK, USA, or Canada, it is important to embrace and celebrate their heritage and diversity.

Where are you from?

• Canada

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • USA

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • UK (+ROI)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Rest of World

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters
tribdog said:
humanino said:
Really, you should be more nice. Did I mention that two times today ?

seriously? gooder is incorrect grammar too. that's why its funny.
Then twice you are not being nicer.
lisab said:
I think if you were in a pure state of momentum, the probability of being exactly here would be zero.
Yes, and the probability of being exactly in a pure state (of position) is also zero.
lisab said:
And I guess there would have to be a "null state" option to accommodate those who think they are from nowhere.
Ah... I lost track of my own wacepacket by now. Did not somebody claim the empty set contains any(every)thing

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
I think if you were in a pure state of momentum, the probability of being exactly here would be zero.

And I guess there would have to be a "null state" option to accommodate those who think they are from nowhere.

I'm not from nowhere, but my mom says I'm going there fast.

tribdog said:
I'm not from nowhere, but my mom says I'm going there fast.

In the middle of that place?

I'm not.

mr-tom said:
I'm not going to name every single country, I did this poll to see what the ratio of British to non-British is. So it's actually a very effective poll.

British to non-British ? Than why make the distinction between UK, USA and Canada ?
Besides, where's Australia ?pfff, this poll even gets "dumb and dumber" by the minutemarlon

marlon said:
Besides, where's Australia ?

Southern hemisphere. Next to New Zealand. Down a bit from Indonesia.

brewnog said:
Southern hemisphere. Next to New Zealand. Down a bit from Indonesia.

rofl

thanks for the info

ciao
marlon

mr-tom said:
I should have put more English speaking countries like Australia and New Zealand. But they're more like holiday resorts than actual countries so they don't count :)

lisab said:
marlon and humanino, you're both forgetting https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=217449"

I think you may find, lisab, that the O.P. of your link, was in fact from Aus., globally voicing some chief concerns therein. For more complex topics, like answering the poll in this thread, helpful check lists are provided (some points are even a little funny if you happen to be Australian)-

You know you're Australian if...
1. You know the meaning of the word 'girt'.
2. You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn.
3. You think it's normal to have a leader called Kevin.
4. You've made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for something illegal such as watering the garden.
5. You believe it is appropriate to put a rubber in your son's pencil case when he first attends school.
6. When you hear that an American 'roots for his team' you wonder how often and with whom.
7. You understand that the phrase 'a group of women wearing black thongs' refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.
8. You pronounce Melbourne as 'Mel-bin'.
9. You pronounce Penrith as 'Pen-riff'.
10. You believe the 'l' in the word ' Australia ' is optional.
11. You can translate: 'Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas.'
12. You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.
13. You call your best friend 'a total bastard' but someone you really, truly despise is just 'a bit of a bastard'.
14. You think 'Woolloomooloo' is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.
15. You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.
16. You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.
17. You understand that 'Wagga Wagga' can be abbreviated to 'Wagga' but 'Woy Woy' can't be called 'Woy'.
18. You believe that cooked-down axlegrease makes a good breakfast spread.
19. You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.
20. Hamburger? Beetroot….? Of course!
21. You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any rendition of the Angels' song Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again.
22. You believe, as an article of faith, that the confectionary known as the Wagon Wheel has become smaller with every passing year.
23. You still don't get why the 'Labor' in 'Australian Labor Party' is not spelt with a 'u'.
24. You wear ugg boots outside the house.
25. You believe, as an article of faith, that every important discovery in the world was made by an Australian but then sold off to the Yanks for a pittance.
26. You believe that the more you shorten someone's name the more you like them.
27. You understand that 'excuse me' can sound rude, while 'scuse me' is always polite.
28. You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.
29. You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.
30. Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for beach cricket.
31. You shake your head in horror when companies try to market what they call 'Anzac cookies'.
32. You still think of Kylie as 'that girl off Neighbours'.
33. When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs - just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
34. You believe the phrase 'smart casual' refers to a pair of black tracky-daks, suitably laundered.
35. You understand that all train timetables are works of fiction.
36. When working on a bar, you understand male customers will feel the need to offer an excuse whenever they order low-alcohol beer.
37. You get choked up with emotion by the first verse of the national anthem and then have trouble remembering the second.
38. You find yourself ignorant of nearly all the facts deemed essential in the government's new test for migrants.
39. You know, whatever the tourist books say, that no one says 'cobber'.
40. And you will immediately forward this list to other Australians, here and overseas, realising that only they will understand.

And in defence of Australia, it has made great contributions for such a small country -including those sold to Americans for a pittance:smile:. Do checklists like these exist for other counties?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am originally from Iraq but currently living in the UK. But, as I have a British passport I presume it makes me British. Yipeee! However, the question asked 'where I come from' therefore making me question whether I should use Iraq rather than the UK as my answer.

fuzzyfelt said:
I think you may find, lisab, that the O.P. of your link, was in fact from Aus., globally voicing some chief concerns therein. For more complex topics, like answering the poll in this thread, helpful check lists are provided (some points are even a little funny if you happen to be Australian)-

You know you're Australian if...
1. You know the meaning of the word 'girt'.
2. You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn.
3. You think it's normal to have a leader called Kevin.
4. You've made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for something illegal such as watering the garden.
5. You believe it is appropriate to put a rubber in your son's pencil case when he first attends school.
6. When you hear that an American 'roots for his team' you wonder how often and with whom.
7. You understand that the phrase 'a group of women wearing black thongs' refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.
8. You pronounce Melbourne as 'Mel-bin'.
9. You pronounce Penrith as 'Pen-riff'.
10. You believe the 'l' in the word ' Australia ' is optional.
11. You can translate: 'Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas.'
12. You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.
13. You call your best friend 'a total bastard' but someone you really, truly despise is just 'a bit of a bastard'.
14. You think 'Woolloomooloo' is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.
15. You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.
16. You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.
17. You understand that 'Wagga Wagga' can be abbreviated to 'Wagga' but 'Woy Woy' can't be called 'Woy'.
18. You believe that cooked-down axlegrease makes a good breakfast spread.
19. You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.
20. Hamburger? Beetroot….? Of course!
21. You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any rendition of the Angels' song Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again.
22. You believe, as an article of faith, that the confectionary known as the Wagon Wheel has become smaller with every passing year.
23. You still don't get why the 'Labor' in 'Australian Labor Party' is not spelt with a 'u'.
24. You wear ugg boots outside the house.
25. You believe, as an article of faith, that every important discovery in the world was made by an Australian but then sold off to the Yanks for a pittance.
26. You believe that the more you shorten someone's name the more you like them.
27. You understand that 'excuse me' can sound rude, while 'scuse me' is always polite.
28. You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.
29. You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.
30. Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for beach cricket.
31. You shake your head in horror when companies try to market what they call 'Anzac cookies'.
32. You still think of Kylie as 'that girl off Neighbours'.
33. When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs - just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
34. You believe the phrase 'smart casual' refers to a pair of black tracky-daks, suitably laundered.
35. You understand that all train timetables are works of fiction.
36. When working on a bar, you understand male customers will feel the need to offer an excuse whenever they order low-alcohol beer.
37. You get choked up with emotion by the first verse of the national anthem and then have trouble remembering the second.
38. You find yourself ignorant of nearly all the facts deemed essential in the government's new test for migrants.
39. You know, whatever the tourist books say, that no one says 'cobber'.
40. And you will immediately forward this list to other Australians, here and overseas, realising that only they will understand.

And in defence of Australia, it has made great contributions for such a small country -including those sold to Americans for a pittance:smile:. Do checklists like these exist for other counties?

Love that, fuzzy!

We have a subculture here in the states called Rednecks. There are hundreds - no, thousands - of "You know you're a redneck when..." jokes.

For example, you know you're a redneck when...

...you think Genitalia is an Italian airline.
...you mow your lawn and find a car (no turbo, I wasn't thinking of you...:wink:).
...your family tree has no forks.

Tons more all over the interwebs.

(ducks object thrown by Evo)

Everyone is of course forgetting that the UK is the greatest country to ever have existed. Some Americans mistakenly think that their country holds this title but of course they're wrong. This poll includes the USA and Canada because we think they're cute for trying. :wink:

lisab said:

:rofl:

You might be a redneck if...
...you have 4 cars, but none of them have wheels.
...you're not sure which is missing more teeth, you or your comb.
...you think the "internet" is some sort of fancy fishing gear.
...you think a "crick" means either a body of water or a sore neck.

marlon said:
this must be by far the dumbest poll ever

ciao
marlon, from the rest of the world

KNoCK IT OFF MARLON!

lisab said:
Love that, fuzzy!

We have a subculture here in the states called Rednecks. There are hundreds - no, thousands - of "You know you're a redneck when..." jokes.

For example, you know you're a redneck when...

...you think Genitalia is an Italian airline.
...you mow your lawn and find a car (no turbo, I wasn't thinking of you...:wink:).
...your family tree has no forks.

Pleased you liked it:smile: Some probably required explanation, like 'girt' occurs in the first verse of the National Anthem.
And thanks, I hadn't seen the redneck jokes.

I was born in Canada (Montréal). Left Canada when I was 4.5 years old for France. Left France for Canada when I was 15 years old. Left Canada for France when I was 17.5 years old. Finally left France for Argentina when I was 19 years old till now. (I'm 21). So a bit hard for me to say where I am from.

Kurdt said:
Everyone is of course forgetting that the UK is the greatest country to ever have existed. Some Americans mistakenly think that their country holds this title but of course they're wrong. This poll includes the USA and Canada because we think they're cute for trying. :wink:

Very wise words indeed :biggrin: