Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you interesting about average value if so trying here.

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Hello

here you have the same question in the enclosed

What is the average value?

average value for (exp [tex]\alpha[/tex]Z ) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] exp[tex]\alpha[/tex]Z ds / [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] ds

Over the sphere S: X^2+Y^2+Z^2=a^2

Also by use the parameterization

X= a sinϴ cos ɸ
    Y= a sinϴ sin ɸ
    Z= a cos ϴ

And the usual substitution t = cos ϴ in the integral:

[tex]0\int[/tex][tex]\Pi[/tex] f (cos ϴ) sinϴ dϴ =[tex]-1\int[/tex]1 f(t) dt

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2
    No comments or solution until now!!!

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Again, Word files are notorious for harboring viruses. I will not open one from someone I do not know.

5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    Hello here the same question in the enclosed

What is the average value?

average value for (exp [tex]\alpha[/tex]Z ) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] exp[tex]\alpha[/tex]Z ds / [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] ds

Over the sphere S: X^2+Y^2+Z^2=a^2

Also by use the parameterization

X= a sinϴ cos ɸ
    Y= a sinϴ sin ɸ
    Z= a cos ϴ

And the usual substitution t = cos ϴ in the integral:

[tex]0\int[/tex][tex]\Pi[/tex] f (cos ϴ) sinϴ dϴ =[tex]-1\int[/tex]1 f(t) dt

Thanks

6. Nov 18, 2008 #5
    I can kind of guess what you mean, but your notation is pretty bad. I do not know what exp[tex]\:^\alpha Z[/tex] is supposed to be. Your substitution seems wrong, your notation is unorthodox and you write factors like -1 instead of just a - . This is probably the reason why people don't answer.

You might have better chances if you wrote something like:

"I am trying to get the average [tex]\left< f(z) \right>_{S_a}[/tex] of a function [tex]f(z)= \alpha ^ z[/tex] over a sphere [tex]S_a[/tex] of radius [tex]r=\sqrt{a}[/tex]. I swear this is not for homework.

What I have so far is this:

[tex]\left< f(z) \right>_{S_a} = \frac{\int_{S_a} \alpha^z\,\mathrm{d}\Omega}{\int_{S_a} \,\mathrm{d}\Omega}[/tex]

I tried to express the integral in polar coordinates:
    X= a sinϴ cos ɸ
    Y= a sinϴ sin ɸ
    Z= a cos ϴ
    [tex]\theta \in \left[0,\pi \right][/tex]
    [tex]\phi \in \left[0,2\pi \right][/tex]

and found:
    [tex] \int_{S_a} f(z) \,\mathrm{d}\Omega = \int_0^{\pi} f(\cos \theta) \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta [/tex]

Is this correct? How do I proceed?"

Then people would have told you what you did wrong.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6
    Thanks for reply but it is not correct hint and I think you don’t proceed with the right way for the real problem you probably fix some thing else many things missing from the real posted thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2008
  8. Nov 24, 2008 #7
    Re: Are you interesting about average value if so trying here.ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS

YES memomath I belive there are some mistakes and the good hint to the correct answer for this problem would be in ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS JOHN BIRD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?