Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I am content with my current situation.I'm content with my current situation.I'm single and content with it.In summary, being single sucks.

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
When I see a pretty lass in the tube, I think to myself "out of the infinite combinations of words one can string together, there must theoretically be some combination that will make the girl take off her knickers right then and there." However, my efforts account to nil.

Yes, I am single.

Physics news on Phys.org
Snazzy said:
When I see a pretty lass in the tube, I think to myself "out of the infinite combinations of words one can string together, there must theoretically be some combination that will make the girl take off her knickers right then and there." However, my efforts account to nil.

Yes, I am single.
Have you tried, "Oh, my God! There are ants all over your knickers!"?

Just a thought.

And, because I am married, I have not actually attempted said string of words myself.

I don't want to wind her up, mate. I speak from the heart. :cool:

"I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be very mad at me for saying that."— Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P)

Happily married. I think having a wife is great, so good in fact every man should own one :biggrin:

Hmm...I have a boyfriend, but still consider myself single. Afterall, I've had other boyfriends, and none of them changed my single status, and there are no current plans for this one to change that either.

Jame said:
What I liked the most about them was the days after a break-up when I could return to my usual doings - without distraction.

Nah, the best part about break-ups is how your social life gets so much better for a week or two as all your friends offer to take you out for drinks to console you. :biggrin:

The_Thinker said:
Ah, well... Being single is fun, I am very happy, I am looking for just this one girl, she should be a lot like me and that's a bit difficult to find, I really believe that there's someone out there who perfectly match with each other, there are after all, so many people... But the problem is by the time, you actually find them, you might have wasted the rest of your life... What do you people think? Should people just settle? or wait for that one person? :confused:
Even if you think there's one person out there in just your part of the country (or even in just your city/metro area/state), you better make sure your probability is calculated to better than 1ppm accuracy, because that's bigger than the difference between "there's one person in my state" and "there isn't a single person in the entire world".

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Nah, the best part about break-ups is how your social life gets so much better for a week or two as all your friends offer to take you out for drinks to console you. :biggrin:
I've never had that. On the other hand, when I turned 40, all my really cute female cousins from one family kidnapped me for an evening and plied me with more booze, kisses, and hug-ups than any guy should get in one go. I remember little of that night, though the hazy parts are all really nice. It was a well-planned ambush, and for months later if I went to bars where patrons had seen us that night, they'd say "Who were those girls? Where do they live? and Why were they all over you?"

These are very attractive women (as many in my family are) who are cute enough to get hit on by guys their daughters' ages. I used to play blues/rock in many of those bars, and although these ladies would show up onesie-twosie at times, this was the first time that the patrons of these bars saw them show up in a phalanx with one guy, so it attracted attention.

Last edited:
Heh, when you get to my age, and you actually are able to find someone to date and it doesn't work out, no one cares. They think you were lucky to find someone to date in the first place. :frown:

belliott4488 said:
Man, you people are not helping to counter the image of socially inept scientist/geek! XP

(BTW, happily - more or less - married for twenty years next month!)

Ehhhhh so far from the poll if you combine GF/BF+married it is pretty much equal to all the single people. So half of us are in some sort of a relationship and the other half aren't.

Married people live longer. Yeah solitude can be good for a while, but loneliness is something totally different and takes it toll over time.

Although those who are divorced live less long than people who are single.

Kurdt said:
Although those who are divorced live less long than people who are single.
I'm twice divorced AND single, I don't see how that..aaaack...aaarrrghhh..._____________

Evo said:
I'm twice divorced AND single, I don't see how that..aaaack...aaarrrghhh..._____________

*Revives Evo* That explains all your accidents.

gravenewworld said:
Ehhhhh so far from the poll if you combine GF/BF+married it is pretty much equal to all the single people. So half of us are in some sort of a relationship and the other half aren't.

Married people live longer. Yeah solitude can be good for a while, but loneliness is something totally different and takes it toll over time.

Loneliness, as a downside, is only for those that do not suffer from borderline autism.

I'm quite happy with myself.

I would get my friends to confirm this fact, but none of them are autistic, so they also would not understand. They are always trying to fix me up with some non-autistic person...

Arghhh...

Once divorced and now single, how long do I have too live?
If I marry again I will be killed by my friends.
(I told them to kill me if I ever decide to marry again)

Kurdt said:
*Revives Evo* That explains all your accidents.
<gasp> <cough> <what?>

Oh thanks Kurdt, I feel much better now... :frown:

Did I mention my doctor sent me to an overnight sleep clinic that cost $2,400.00? Luckily my insurance paid 100% of it. I won't know the official results for up to two weeks, but I already know the outcome. "She keeps waking up, but we don't know why".

I have never had so many wires connected to me in my entire life, they even had monitors stuck up my nose to detect breathing. I was video and audio taped, every bodily function was monitored, I was covered head to toe with wires to detect everything imaginable.

It was cool though, it was like a very posh hotel, nothing clinical about it except for the wires.

Last edited:
Evo said:
<gasp> <cough> <what?>

Oh thanks Kurdt, I feel much better now... :frown:

Did I mention my doctor sent me to an overnight sleep clinic that cost $2,400.00? Luckily my insurance paid 100% of it. I won't know the official results for up to two weeks, but I already know the outcome. "She keeps waking up, but we don't know why".

I have never had so many wires connected to me in my entire life, they even had monitors stuck up my nose to detect breathing. I was video and audio taped, every bodily function was monitored, I was covered head to toe with wires to detect everything imaginable.

It was cool though, it was like a very posh hotel, nothing clinical about it except for the wires.

How are you supposed to sleep in a place like that in the first place despite the wires? I couldn't.

Kurdt said:
How are you supposed to sleep in a place like that in the first place despite the wires? I couldn't.
That's what I thought. I am such a light sleeper that there was no way I could sleep under these conditions.

Surprisingly, you don't even feel the monitors, except the nose ones. Well, when you try to turn over, you have to pull and adjust all of the wires and I accidently unplugged one and the attendant came rushing into re-attach it.

It wasn't anything like I had seen on tv. It's a deluxe hotel room, fully outfitted for your comfort, you can bring your own pillows and for me that included a fan which I sleep with and I take sleeping pills and was allowed to take my sleeping pill (ambien) which does not work to keep me asleep.

There is just one infrared camera in the ceiling and you don't even notice it.

Did it look like this?

hal.jpg

Single.. I'm still young though. I would certainly like, in the future, to find the so-called one person like The Thinker said. Is this an illusion or have in fact some of you found the person who's just right for you?

Single, waiting for the right guy to come along :P. You would be suprised how hard it is to find a nice guy who is into motorcycles,vehicles and the outdoors. Honestly you would think they would be everywhere but no apparently not haha.

OmCheeto said:
Loneliness, as a downside, is only for those that do not suffer from borderline autism.

I'm quite happy with myself.

I would get my friends to confirm this fact, but none of them are autistic, so they also would not understand. They are always trying to fix me up with some non-autistic person...

Arghhh...

Where the hell did you get that? Thats bullsh!t. I have PDD (or so my mother says and tries to use to her advantage) and I feel loneliness fairly often.

Evo said:
Did I mention my doctor sent me to an overnight sleep clinic

Hey I got one of those myself just last January. My brain is recorded on a strip of paper. So cool!

BTW, that's not an infrared light in the ceiling; it's a tent-detector. You didn't notice it turning green every ten minutes? :biggrin:

Married for 16 years.

Not dating.

Poop-Loops said:
Did it look like this?

hal.jpg

Hey, that's what the smoke detector in my bedroom looks like! It flashes every 90 seconds! Makes me loony!

DaveC426913 said:
Hey I got one of those myself just last January. My brain is recorded on a strip of paper. So cool!

BTW, that's not an infrared light in the ceiling; it's a tent-detector. You didn't notice it turning green every ten minutes? :biggrin:
No, it stayed red at all times.

binzing said:
Where the hell did you get that? Thats bullsh!t. I have PDD (or so my mother says and tries to use to her advantage) and I feel loneliness fairly often.

What on Earth is PDD?

lisab said:
Hey, that's what the smoke detector in my bedroom looks like! It flashes every 90 seconds! Makes me loony!

...doesn't that mean you have to replace the batteries?

My lady cousins kept me fairly close to home on my 40th, but we ranged into some bars in towns in outlying areas. That night they called themselves the "kitty posse" and formed a kind of phalanx around me. They included the wife of the most prominent real-estate agent in town, the wife of the chief of police, the wife of a well-connected Lakota iron-worker, and the wife of a prominent agent with a heavy-equipment business. They are all beautiful ladies, and they are sweeties. I'm grateful to have all of them as my friends. Did I mention that they are all gorgeous?

Last edited:
Pervasive Developmental Disorder, I think.

binzing said:
Pervasive Developmental Disorder, I think.

Pervasive? I'm almost 50!
How about Permanent Developmental Disorder?

Poop-Loops said:
...doesn't that mean you have to replace the batteries?

No, it blinks when it "sniffs". Seriously, it makes me nuts. I'm a very light sleeper; I'll wake up and watch for it to blink.

I think it's because...this is going to sound impossible...I've had four house fires in my life. So I'm rightfully freaked out about fire.

Evo, I have sleep problems, too! So frustrating!

Last edited:
lisab said:
No, it blinks when it "sniffs". Seriously, it makes me nuts. I'm a very light sleeper; I'll wake up and watch for it to blink.

I think it's because...this is going to sound impossible...I've had four house fires in my life. So I'm rightfully freaked out about fire.

Evo, I have sleep problems, too! So frustrating!
Did your mother never tell you not to play with matches :tongue:

Can't you just get one that doesn't blink? Or hell, take out the LED that does it yourself?

I used to be a very heavy sleeper, but now any light humming or even a click of a clock drives me mad. Even my monitor's light telling me it's on sleep mode is annoying. I need to TURN IT OFF! :frown: