Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I am content with my current situation.I'm content with my current situation.I'm single and content with it.In summary, being single sucks.

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
Poop-Loops said:
Well I can attest that "don't look for it, it will just happen" just plain doesn't work.

Ah, contraire. While I was looking for something totally unlike W, W was sneaking up on me. When she pounced, I wanted nothing to do with her. She stalked me for months, ground me into submission, and I've been happy ever since. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
Ah, contraire. While I was looking for something totally unlike W, W was sneaking up on me. When she pounced, I wanted nothing to do with her. She stalked me for months, ground me into submission, and I've been happy ever since. Go figure... :rolleyes:

You remind me of male anime/video game characters. You ever watch anime? The stereotypical stoic male hero wants nothing to do with the perfect girl (hot, smart, funny, etc.) who is drooling over him and nagging him, until he like, saves the world or something equally epic and predictably falls in love with her and they live happily ever after.

So, did you save the world or do something equally epic? I don't think you can just skip a step like that.

Poop-Loops said:
So, did you save the world or do something equally epic?
Nothing like it, and there was no 'hot, smart, funny' aspect; she was almost diametrically opposed to what I wanted. She was 55 at the time, with 4 kids and a dozen grandbrats, has absolutely no interest in anything even vaguely scientific, not highly literate (she frequently asks me how to spell one-syllable words), and to top it all off, she's a Christian (but not the rabid sort). On the other hand, her 'people skills' are phenomenal. She started as a waitress when she was 16 (and as a single mother), then finished high-school and got married, then was an addictions counsellor for 10 years (maybe that's what drew her to me). Our differences compliment one another, so we get along very well. I think of it as the 'Jack Spratt Syndrome'. :biggrin:

jtbell said:
Married 20 years this coming June. Since we're both academics, we often happen to be on the road at anniversary time. Once it was in Leningrad, before it got renamed back to St. Petersburg. Once it was in Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania. :eek: This year it may be somewhere in Colorado, on our way home from Arizona.

Probably our "worst" anniversary was our tenth, the day after I got hit by a pickup truck while bicycling and broke my collarbone, pelvis and ankle. :frown:

Just out of interest, academics in same or different field?

Married on the 29th of Feb (one month ago). So far, SOOOoooo GOOOoood!

LURCH said:
Lucky you. One anniversary every 4 years. :biggrin:

Congrats, Lurch!

LURCH said:

Oh yeah, makes it easy to remember and think of the money you will save.:devil:

jtbell said:
Probably our "worst" anniversary was our tenth, the day after I got hit by a pickup truck while bicycling and broke my collarbone, pelvis and ankle. :frown:

Ouch.

Our "worst" anniversary story is not nearly so bad - looking back, it's quite humorous.

On our third anniversary we were in the process of moving from Brandon, Manitoba to Saint John, New Brunswick. The day of our anniversary, the movers came several hours later than scheduled to our Brandon apartment to pick up our stuff. We were flying out of Winnipeg, so we were late starting the two-hour drive from Brandon to Winnipeg.

Our plans were to go an Olive Garden restaurant (which my wife loves) in Winnipeg for supper, stay overnight with friends, and then fly out the next morning. Because of the delay in our plans, the restaurant was closed when we got to Winnipeg.

We were both unfamiliar with Winnipeg, and the only eating joint we could find nearby was a Wendy's. When we went inside, we were told that they were soon closing, and we had to order take-out.

Our anniversary meal consisted of eating burgers and fries from a paper bag while sitting in a car in a parking lot!

tgt said:
Just out of interest, academics in same or different field?

Different. Her field is German. Fortunately, we've never had to worry about the "two-body problem" because we met after I came here, and she had already been here a while.

When we decided to get married, we got a dramatic illustration of one aspect of living in a small-town, small-college environment. We figured we might as well tell our Dean first. His secretary apparently overheard it and got on the phone immediately (this was in the days before e-mail). By the time we had walked back to the science building, on the other side of campus, my colleagues were waiting to congratulate us!

Danger said:

Well, at least HALF the people have to go look for it or it won't happen. :wink: Figures, all the hard work is left up to the women as usual.

Moonbear said:
Well, at least HALF the people have to go look for it or it won't happen. :wink: Figures, all the hard work is left up to the women as usual.

Science geeks aren't confident enough to ask themselves. They're to busy hiding in their drinks in the corner of bars (if they get that far). :tongue2:

jtbell said:
Different. Her field is German. Fortunately, we've never had to worry about the "two-body problem" because we met after I came here, and she had already been here a while.

When we decided to get married, we got a dramatic illustration of one aspect of living in a small-town, small-college environment. We figured we might as well tell our Dean first. His secretary apparently overheard it and got on the phone immediately (this was in the days before e-mail). By the time we had walked back to the science building, on the other side of campus, my colleagues were waiting to congratulate us!

I assume you are in physics? Does that work well? Two people with entirely different 'brain structures'? Maybe a bit too different for each other? I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.

Kurdt said:
Science geeks aren't confident enough to ask themselves. They're to busy hiding in their drinks in the corner of bars (if they get that far). :tongue2:
Luckily, I'm not a science geek. While trying to avoid W, I was actively pursuing 18-25 year-old women in a couple of different bars. (Even managed to catch a couple. :devil:)

Danger said:
Luckily, I'm not a science geek. While trying to avoid W, I was actively pursuing 18-25 year-old women in a couple of different bars. (Even managed to catch a couple. :devil:)
Wait, you were pursuing 18-25yo's and you were nabbed by a 55yo?

Either you're a dirty old man or your wife's the queen of cougars...

tgt said:
I assume you are in physics? Does that work well? Two people with entirely different 'brain structures'? Maybe a bit too different for each other? I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.
Males and females have different brain structures. :biggrin:

tgt said:
I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.

Having different careers doesn't mean you're dissimilar. Your career isn't your personality. On the other hand, being TOO much alike doesn't necessarily work either...I'd go insane living with someone just like me! It's much better to find someone similar in the ways you like them to be similar, and different in the ways you need them to be different. In other words, it's best to be complementary.

DaveC426913 said:
Either you're a dirty old man or your wife's the queen of cougars...

Both. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Both. :biggrin:
Cougars rock. My group of 8 friends just realized that in all 4 couples, the women are older than the men. We're thinking of getting tattoos.

image42_3.gif

Attachments

• image42_3.gif
    image42_3.gif
    3 KB · Views: 331
That's a mighty nice looking graphic there, Dave. It's nice to see when someone manages to draw a cat without making it look cheesy.
By the way, I was 49 when W and I met.

tgt said:

Well, I'm interested in languages, and am semi-fluent in German. And we both like to travel and enjoy classical music. So we put up with each other's eccentricities, including my tendency to "see physics" in all sorts of places, and her urge to dive into every thrift shop we pass.

Danger said:
That's a mighty nice looking graphic there, Dave. It's nice to see when someone manages to draw a cat without making it look cheesy.
By the way, I was 49 when W and I met.
Uh thanks. I Googled it with my own two hands...:rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
I Googled it with my own two hands...:rolleyes:

There is just no end to your talent.

29 year old male, still single and virgin:( This(PF) is my last resort/attempt to find love;)

Desiree said:
29 year old male, still single and virgin:( This(PF) is my last resort/attempt to find love;)

I guarantee that you'll find true love here ---

--there are a lot of single women here that will pounce on you once they know you are single!

rewebster said:
I guarantee that you'll find true love here ---

--there are a lot of single women here that will pounce on you once they know you are single!
I've been here 5 years and no one has pounced on me. :grumpy:

I always thought Desiree was a girl's name. :uhh:

Evo said:

well, you're not a single male----maybe that's the trouble

(see, Desiree, I told you that they'd start coming out of the woodwork)

Yes I thought Desiree was a girl. Perhaps its part of a cunning plan. I see that over 50% of physics forums people are single.

Nobody will pounce on you Evo because they all know how fragile you are!

Kurdt said:
Oh, ok, now I feel better. :frown:

Kurdt said:
Yes I thought Desiree was a girl.

Thanks to humanino, I just found out that a physicist whom I thought was a she is actually a he.

Kurdt said:
Yes I thought Desiree was a girl. Perhaps its part of a cunning plan. I see that over 50% of physics forums people are single.

what?--maybe not good enough medical for 'damage to pouncee', too?

Evo said:

I have a friend in sales who swears that when he wears his wedding band, he gets hit on WAY more than when he doesn't. I can't corroborate this, since I never had a wedding band. For many years, I worked with my hands and played guitar professionally on weekends, and wearing rings is a sure way to increase your risk of injury to your fingers. No thanks.

Single and don't have any hope for getting a girl :)

Eek! Three posts in a minute. I just meant we all care about damaging Evo so much that we wouldn't pounce. If we pounced you'd probably fall over and break something.

Would that be an Italian Andrea George?

That is a man who looks nothing like his name!