Are you single, married, or do you have a gf/bf?

What is your status?

• Single

Votes: 65 54.2%
  • Married

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • GF/BF or significant other

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Aherm. Someone has clearly never worn a long, staticy (staticky? static-y?) skirt to an all-girls/women school. They don't shed as much hair my foot!

:rofl: Based on how often I clean the shower drain in spring and fall and the pretty balanced ratio of hair to fur in the vacuum cleaner, I do wonder whether it's me or the cat that sheds most during shedding season. But, hey, that's how we mark our territory! While a guy might pick up a few stray hairs on the cuffs of his pants or the outside of his jacket, there better not be any that don't match your own on the inside of his pants. :biggrin:

I'm 16 and don't have a GF but I'm not looking for one at all. I'm not looking for any type of relationship right now. I have way too many more important priorities. Probably once I land into an internship at a good firm that I'll be working for in my senior year of college, I'll start looking, lol.

When is anyone really NOT looking other than when they've already found someone? Sure, there are times one tries harder to meet more people, but has anyone ever asked someone else out and gotten the answer, "Oh, sorry, thanks but no thanks, I'm happily single and prefer staying home alone."

Last year when my mom hurt her back, I was the one who took her to the physical therapist regularly.

One of the assistants there apparently had the hots for me (don't ask me why, I still can't figure it out). I kind of noticed it (I tend to be completely oblivious to my surroundings), but then when my dad took my mom one day, she said the girl asked for me. My response? Cringe. The girl was cute, and off the bat there was nothing wrong with her. But I just didn't want to go out with her, or really anybody. Don't know why.

jtbell
Mentor
Married 20 years this coming June. Since we're both academics, we often happen to be on the road at anniversary time. Once it was in Leningrad, before it got renamed back to St. Petersburg. Once it was in Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania. :eek: This year it may be somewhere in Colorado, on our way home from Arizona.

Probably our "worst" anniversary was our tenth, the day after I got hit by a pickup truck while bicycling and broke my collarbone, pelvis and ankle. :frown:

Married 14 years this fall. One wife, two daughters and one very small female chihuahua.
I am so outnumbered.

Danger
Gold Member
Well I can attest that "don't look for it, it will just happen" just plain doesn't work.

Ah, contraire. While I was looking for something totally unlike W, W was sneaking up on me. When she pounced, I wanted nothing to do with her. She stalked me for months, ground me into submission, and I've been happy ever since. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Ah, contraire. While I was looking for something totally unlike W, W was sneaking up on me. When she pounced, I wanted nothing to do with her. She stalked me for months, ground me into submission, and I've been happy ever since. Go figure... :rolleyes:

You remind me of male anime/video game characters. You ever watch anime? The stereotypical stoic male hero wants nothing to do with the perfect girl (hot, smart, funny, etc.) who is drooling over him and nagging him, until he like, saves the world or something equally epic and predictably falls in love with her and they live happily ever after.

So, did you save the world or do something equally epic? I don't think you can just skip a step like that.

Danger
Gold Member
So, did you save the world or do something equally epic?
Nothing like it, and there was no 'hot, smart, funny' aspect; she was almost diametrically opposed to what I wanted. She was 55 at the time, with 4 kids and a dozen grandbrats, has absolutely no interest in anything even vaguely scientific, not highly literate (she frequently asks me how to spell one-syllable words), and to top it all off, she's a Christian (but not the rabid sort). On the other hand, her 'people skills' are phenomenal. She started as a waitress when she was 16 (and as a single mother), then finished high-school and got married, then was an addictions counsellor for 10 years (maybe that's what drew her to me). Our differences compliment one another, so we get along very well. I think of it as the 'Jack Spratt Syndrome'. :biggrin:

tgt
Married 20 years this coming June. Since we're both academics, we often happen to be on the road at anniversary time. Once it was in Leningrad, before it got renamed back to St. Petersburg. Once it was in Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania. :eek: This year it may be somewhere in Colorado, on our way home from Arizona.

Probably our "worst" anniversary was our tenth, the day after I got hit by a pickup truck while bicycling and broke my collarbone, pelvis and ankle. :frown:

Just out of interest, academics in same or different field?

LURCH
Science Advisor
Married on the 29th of Feb (one month ago). So far, SOOOoooo GOOOoood!!!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Lucky you. One anniversary every 4 years. :biggrin:

Congrats, Lurch!

Oh yeah, makes it easy to remember and think of the money you will save.:devil:

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Ouch.

Our "worst" anniversary story is not nearly so bad - looking back, it's quite humorous.

On our third anniversary we were in the process of moving from Brandon, Manitoba to Saint John, New Brunswick. The day of our anniversary, the movers came several hours later than scheduled to our Brandon apartment to pick up our stuff. We were flying out of Winnipeg, so we were late starting the two-hour drive from Brandon to Winnipeg.

Our plans were to go an Olive Garden restaurant (which my wife loves) in Winnipeg for supper, stay overnight with friends, and then fly out the next morning. Because of the delay in our plans, the restaurant was closed when we got to Winnipeg.

We were both unfamiliar with Winnipeg, and the only eating joint we could find nearby was a Wendy's. When we went inside, we were told that they were soon closing, and we had to order take-out.

Our anniversary meal consisted of eating burgers and fries from a paper bag while sitting in a car in a parking lot!

jtbell
Mentor
Just out of interest, academics in same or different field?

Different. Her field is German. Fortunately, we've never had to worry about the "two-body problem" because we met after I came here, and she had already been here a while.

When we decided to get married, we got a dramatic illustration of one aspect of living in a small-town, small-college environment. We figured we might as well tell our Dean first. His secretary apparently overheard it and got on the phone immediately (this was in the days before e-mail). By the time we had walked back to the science building, on the other side of campus, my colleagues were waiting to congratulate us!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Well, at least HALF the people have to go look for it or it won't happen. :wink: Figures, all the hard work is left up to the women as usual.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, at least HALF the people have to go look for it or it won't happen. :wink: Figures, all the hard work is left up to the women as usual.

Science geeks aren't confident enough to ask themselves. They're to busy hiding in their drinks in the corner of bars (if they get that far). :tongue2:

tgt
Different. Her field is German. Fortunately, we've never had to worry about the "two-body problem" because we met after I came here, and she had already been here a while.

When we decided to get married, we got a dramatic illustration of one aspect of living in a small-town, small-college environment. We figured we might as well tell our Dean first. His secretary apparently overheard it and got on the phone immediately (this was in the days before e-mail). By the time we had walked back to the science building, on the other side of campus, my colleagues were waiting to congratulate us!

I assume you are in physics? Does that work well? Two people with entirely different 'brain structures'? Maybe a bit too different for each other? I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.

Danger
Gold Member
Science geeks aren't confident enough to ask themselves. They're to busy hiding in their drinks in the corner of bars (if they get that far). :tongue2:
Luckily, I'm not a science geek. While trying to avoid W, I was actively pursuing 18-25 year-old women in a couple of different bars. (Even managed to catch a couple. :devil:)

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Luckily, I'm not a science geek. While trying to avoid W, I was actively pursuing 18-25 year-old women in a couple of different bars. (Even managed to catch a couple. :devil:)
Wait, you were pursuing 18-25yo's and you were nabbed by a 55yo?

Either you're a dirty old man or your wife's the queen of cougars...

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I assume you are in physics? Does that work well? Two people with entirely different 'brain structures'? Maybe a bit too different for each other? I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.
Males and females have different brain structures. :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I always thought that people like someone who is similar to them.

Having different careers doesn't mean you're dissimilar. Your career isn't your personality. On the other hand, being TOO much alike doesn't necessarily work either...I'd go insane living with someone just like me! It's much better to find someone similar in the ways you like them to be similar, and different in the ways you need them to be different. In other words, it's best to be complementary.

Danger
Gold Member
Either you're a dirty old man or your wife's the queen of cougars...

Both. :biggrin:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Both. :biggrin:
Cougars rock. My group of 8 friends just realized that in all 4 couples, the women are older than the men. We're thinking of getting tattoos.

image42_3.gif

Attachments

• image42_3.gif
    image42_3.gif
    3 KB · Views: 288
Danger
Gold Member
That's a mighty nice looking graphic there, Dave. It's nice to see when someone manages to draw a cat without making it look cheesy.
By the way, I was 49 when W and I met.

jtbell
Mentor

Well, I'm interested in languages, and am semi-fluent in German. And we both like to travel and enjoy classical music. So we put up with each other's eccentricities, including my tendency to "see physics" in all sorts of places, and her urge to dive into every thrift shop we pass.