Area between a line and a parabola

In summary, the task is to find the area enclosed by the line y = x-1 and the parabola y^2 = 2x+6. This can be achieved using two separate integrals, one for each region defined by the intersecting lines. It is important to note the orientation of the strips being used and choose the appropriate integrand. Sketching a graph can also help visualize the problem and determine the correct approach.
VWhitehawk

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the line y = x-1 and the parabola y^2 = 2x+6

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any special formulas or anything

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I graphed the two given equations as √2x+6 and x-1 and got intersects at point (-1,-2) and (5,4).

A = ∫(√2x+6) - (-√2x+6)dx
A = 2∫(√2x+6)dx

then I used u substitution to get 2/3u^(3/2). I turned the u back to 2x+6 and then solved it for the limits -2 and -1 (Solved 2/3(2x+6)^3/2))

but then the numbers get weird and become really long decimals...which I doubt I should be getting. Where did I go wrong? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi VWhitehawk! Welcome to PF! :wink:
VWhitehawk said:

but then the numbers get weird and become really long decimals...

Have you tried looking at it sideways, and integrating wrt y instead of x ? :smile:

VWhitehawk said:

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the line y = x-1 and the parabola y^2 = 2x+6

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any special formulas or anything

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I graphed the two given equations as √2x+6 and x-1 and got intersects at point (-1,-2) and (5,4).

A = 2∫(√2x+6)dx
Your integrand is incorrect. The left boundary is the parabola, and the right boundary is the line, which you seem to have neglected. If you use horizontal strips, you can use one integral, but if you use vertical strips (as you have done), you need two separate integrals.

VWhitehawk said:
then I used u substitution to get 2/3u^(3/2). I turned the u back to 2x+6 and then solved it for the limits -2 and -1 (Solved 2/3(2x+6)^3/2))

but then the numbers get weird and become really long decimals...which I doubt I should be getting. Where did I go wrong? :(

Oh, so the it should look like "∫((√2x+6) - (x-1))dx to take the line into account?

Not sure what you mean by doing it vertically, but from the way you say it, it sounds easier than doing it the horizontal way! lol

VWhitehawk said:
Oh, so the it should look like "∫((√2x+6) - (x-1))dx to take the line into account?
Here you are using vertical strips of width Δx. This won't work, since some strips run between the upper and lower parts of the parabola, while other strips run between the upper part of the parabola and the line. Since the strips are different, you need two different integrals.

Have you actually sketched a graph of the region?
VWhitehawk said:
Not sure what you mean by doing it vertically, but from the way you say it, it sounds easier than doing it the horizontal way! lol

Horizontal strips is width Δy are much simpler.

I have drawn it and the little rectangle too. I flipped the drawing sideways like you said but I just don't get what is supposed to be my integrand.

VWhitehawk said:
I have drawn it and the little rectangle too. I flipped the drawing sideways like you said but I just don't get what is supposed to be my integrand.
What little rectangle?

And what do you mean when you say you flipped the drawing sideways? tiny-tim was suggesting that you use horizontal strips, not that you turn the drawing sideways.

1. What is the formula for finding the area between a line and a parabola?

The formula for finding the area between a line and a parabola is given by the definite integral ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) represents the parabola and g(x) represents the line.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the area between a line and a parabola?

The limits of integration for finding the area between a line and a parabola are the points of intersection between the parabola and the line. These points can be found by solving the system of equations formed by the equations of the parabola and the line.

3. Can the area between a line and a parabola be negative?

Yes, the area between a line and a parabola can be negative if the line is above the parabola on certain intervals. This means that the parabola is above the line on those intervals, causing the definite integral to have a negative value.

4. Is there a graphical method for finding the area between a line and a parabola?

Yes, there is a graphical method for finding the area between a line and a parabola. By graphing the two functions and shading the region between them, you can visually estimate the area. However, this method may not be as accurate as using the definite integral.

5. How can the area between a line and a parabola be applied in real life?

The area between a line and a parabola can be applied in real life in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force on an object or to determine the profit or loss of a business based on production and cost functions.