1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between curves and integration

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    This isnt a homework question, but from my notes that I couldn't figure out (wasn't able to copy the rest of the down)

I have two functions:
    y=x
    y=x^3 , 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2

and I have to find the area between these two curves.

I know how to do it with respect to x, but I have troubles integrating with respect to y.

From a quick sketch of the graph, it seems like I will have three different integrals.

I can formulate the first two definite integrals:

[tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex] (y^1/3 - y) dy + [tex]\int^{2}_{1}[/tex](y-y^1/3)dy

but I don't know how to forumate the last one... help!

The area should be 5/2.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you inverted the problem into a dy integration. You can do that but then the upper limit is definitely not 2. Just integrate (x-x^3)dx between 0 and 1 and (x^3-x)dx between 1 and 2 and add them.

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    Because this was part of the notes. In the notes, we integrated with respect to x and the professor showed us how to integrate with respect to y as well. Except I didn't have time to copy that part of the notes (integration with respect to y), so I was just trying to do it just now, but I dunno whats the upper limit for the third part of the integration...

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you need to do it that way, then y^(1/3)-y from 0 to 1. y-y^(1/3) from 1 to 2 and 2-y^(1/3) from 2 to 8. Do you see why? Draw the graph. x^3=y, 2^3=8.

6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    yeah i see it now! thanks =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?