1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between curves y=((e^x)-(e^-x))/2 and y=2e^-x

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Area between curves y=((e^x)-(e^-x))/2 and y=2e^-x for -1 < x < 2

2. Relevant equations
    I know the formula is the integral of ( u(x)-l(x) )dx, but I'm having a lot of trouble trying to integrate this.

integral from -1 to ln(5)/2: (((2e^-x)-((e^x)-(e^-x))/2))dx + int. ln(5)/2 to 2: (((e^x)-(e^-x))/2-2e^-x)dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed everything and solved for x (intersection at x=ln(5)/2) but have been unable to get the right answer after that point. I tried splitting the formula into smaller integrals by linearity to simplify integration but consistently got the wrong answer for that.
    Should I try to split it up again? Or am I missing a pretty easy integration in here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2
    well, I'm trying this question again so just thought i'd bump with a little question to get started.

since the first half of the area integral works out to be:

A = int: {2e-x-(ex-e-x)/2}dx

can I just separate it into:

A = int: 2e-xdx - int: (ex-e-x)/2dx

or is the fact that the two formulas are in brackets rule out the linearity subtraction rule?

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    k got this one too, bury this thread as desired

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook