1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between two curves integral

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the region enclosed by the curves x=2-y^2 and y=-x

Write a single integral that can be used to evaluate the area of the region. Find this area. Your answer should be a fraction reduced to its lowest terms.

2. Relevant equations

NA

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I graphed them and found the intersection points. The graphs intersect at the points (-2,2) and (1,-1). To write the integral, I decided to integrate with respect to y, I have:

Integral from y=2 to y=-1 of (-y)-(2-y^2)dy

Solving this, I got that the area should be 1.5, however I was told the answer is 4.5. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember: an integral is the limit of a sum of a large number of small quantities. When you evaluate a planar area you can either split it up into (a large number of narrow) vertical rectangles (long sides parallel to the y-axis) or horizontal rectangles (long sides parallel to the x-axis). Which method have you attempted to use? Did you do it correctly?

4. Sep 23, 2013 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That should work. You'll have to give the details of the integration.

5. Sep 23, 2013 #4
    Well you have set this up in a very unusual form (for example, why is your lower limit 2 and your upper limit -1?), but it is a correct setup and as it turns out the integral from y=2 to y=-1 of (-y)-(2-y^2) dy is indeed 4.5. So it looks like you're having trouble with evaluating the integral.

If you need more help, why not show how you tried to evaluate the integral.

6. Sep 23, 2013 #5
    Thank you, I realized I made a stupid mistake. - I made a stupid mistake taking the integral.. Thank you guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted