Area between two curves integral

In summary, you attempted to evaluate the area of a region enclosed by two curves, but you did it in a way that was not standard. You then found that the area was 4.5, but when you showed how you did it, you realized you made a mistake.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

Consider the region enclosed by the curves x=2-y^2 and y=-x

Write a single integral that can be used to evaluate the area of the region. Find this area. Your answer should be a fraction reduced to its lowest terms.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I graphed them and found the intersection points. The graphs intersect at the points (-2,2) and (1,-1). To write the integral, I decided to integrate with respect to y, I have:

Integral from y=2 to y=-1 of (-y)-(2-y^2)dy

Solving this, I got that the area should be 1.5, however I was told the answer is 4.5. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the region enclosed by the curves x=2-y^2 and y=-x

Write a single integral that can be used to evaluate the area of the region. Find this area. Your answer should be a fraction reduced to its lowest terms.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I graphed them and found the intersection points. The graphs intersect at the points (-2,2) and (1,-1). To write the integral, I decided to integrate with respect to y, I have:

Solving this, I got that the area should be 1.5, however I was told the answer is 4.5. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Remember: an integral is the limit of a sum of a large number of small quantities. When you evaluate a planar area you can either split it up into (a large number of narrow) vertical rectangles (long sides parallel to the y-axis) or horizontal rectangles (long sides parallel to the x-axis). Which method have you attempted to use? Did you do it correctly?

Last edited:
Yosty22 said:

That should work. You'll have to give the details of the integration.

Well you have set this up in a very unusual form (for example, why is your lower limit 2 and your upper limit -1?), but it is a correct setup and as it turns out the integral from y=2 to y=-1 of (-y)-(2-y^2) dy is indeed 4.5. So it looks like you're having trouble with evaluating the integral.

If you need more help, why not show how you tried to evaluate the integral.

Last edited:
Thank you, I realized I made a stupid mistake. - I made a stupid mistake taking the integral.. Thank you guys.

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves using integration?

The formula for finding the area between two curves using integration is ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the upper and lower curves respectively.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the area between two curves?

The limits of integration for finding the area between two curves are determined by finding the x-values where the two curves intersect. These x-values will serve as the lower and upper limits of integration.

3. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative. This occurs when the upper curve is below the lower curve in certain regions, resulting in a negative value for the integral.

4. What is the significance of finding the area between two curves using integration?

Finding the area between two curves using integration is significant because it allows us to calculate the area of irregular shapes that cannot be easily calculated using traditional geometry methods. This is important in many scientific and engineering fields.

5. Can the area between two curves be calculated using other methods besides integration?

Yes, the area between two curves can also be calculated using other methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. However, these methods may not be as accurate as integration and may require more calculations for complex curves.