Area between two eccentric circles

In summary, the problem involves two circles with different diameters and an eccentricity between their centers. The length of a line from the center of the smaller circle to the outside of the larger circle can be calculated using the equation x = e*cos(a) + 0.5*sqrt(D^2 - 4*e^2*sin^2(a)), where a is the angle from the horizontal. The question is to find the area bounded by these two lines and the two circles, specifically the red area shown in the attached image. The first step towards solving this problem is to integrate the equation in polar coordinates from a to a+60 degrees.
agordon
Hi, here is my geometry problem.

I have two circles, one inside the other. The larger diameter is denoted by D, and the smaller by d. Their centers are eccentric by a distance e. Now, there is a line from the center of the smaller circle to the outside of the larger circle. I have derived an equation for the length of those lines at any given angle from the horizontal. It is:

x = e*cos(a) + 0.5*sqrt(D^2 - 4*e^2*sin^2(a)).

I hope that makes sense, I'm not sure how to write equations on this forum.

So now, there is another line, 60 degrees from the first line. There is an area bounded by the two lines and the two circles. Can anyone figure out how to find this area? The attachment shows the situation I am talking about. The area colored red is the area in question.

Thanks,
AGordon

Attachments

• geometry.jpg
    geometry.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,513
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I may have figured it out. At least found a step toward the solution. I realized that the equation I had for the distance from the center of the small diameter to the outside of the large diameter was the equation of a circle in polar coordinates. So if I can integrate that equation from a to a+60 degrees that will give me the area of the un-centered pie section. Then the area in question is that minus the area of the small diameter pie.

So anyways, I am very rusty on my calculus so anyone who can help integrate an equation in polar coordinates please help.

Thanks!

1. What is the definition of the area between two eccentric circles?

The area between two eccentric circles refers to the region enclosed by two circles with different centers, where the centers do not coincide and one circle is not completely within the other.

2. How do you calculate the area between two eccentric circles?

The area between two eccentric circles can be calculated by subtracting the area of the smaller circle from the area of the larger circle, and then subtracting the area of the overlapping region between the two circles.

3. What is the formula for finding the area between two eccentric circles?

The formula for finding the area between two eccentric circles is A = π(r1^2 - r2^2) - 2√(r1r2)^2 - (r1^2 - r2^2)sin^-1(d/2r1) - (r2^2 - r1^2)sin^-1(d/2r2), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two circles and d is the distance between their centers.

4. Can the area between two eccentric circles be negative?

No, the area between two eccentric circles can never be negative. It represents a physical region and therefore must have a positive value.

5. What are the real-life applications of the area between two eccentric circles?

The area between two eccentric circles has various applications in engineering, architecture, and design. It is used in calculating the material needed for circular structures, such as bridges and tunnels, and in creating designs for circular patterns in architecture and art.