1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area bounded by a curve and arbitrary line

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the values of m for y = mx that enclose a region with [itex]y = \frac{x}{x^2 + 1}[/itex] and find the area of this bounded region.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I set the two functions equal to each other to solve for x in terms of m:

[itex]mx = \frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} \\\\
    mx(x^{2} + 1) = x \\\\
    mx^{3} + (m - 1)x = 0 \\\\
    x(mx^{2} + (m - 1)) = 0 \\\\[/itex]

So when x = 0 and:

[itex]mx^{2} + m - 1 = 0 \\\\
    x = \sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}[/itex]

Now to solve for m, replace [itex]mx = \frac{x}{x^{2} + 1}[/itex] with [itex]x = \sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}[/itex]:

[itex]m\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}} = \frac{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}}{\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1} \\\\
    m = \frac{1}{\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1} \\\\
    m - 1 + m = 1 \\\\
    2m = 2 \\\\
    m = 1[/itex]

So at y = 1x or y = x, it intersects the graph [itex]y = \frac{x}{x^2 + 1}[/itex] exactly. Looking at the graph, if the slope is less steep, it looks like it will create a region. I don't know how to mathematically show this. So I would guess between 0 < m < 1 (not inclusive I guess?) it will create a region. And for the area, the integral I set up is:

[itex]2 \cdot \int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}} (\frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} - mx) dx[/itex]

Because it's symmetrical I guess. Evaluating:

[itex]2 \cdot \int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{m - 1}{m}}} (\frac{x}{x^{2} + 1} - mx) dx \\\\
    ln(x^2 + 1) - [m(x^{2} + 1)] \\\\
    ln(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1) - [m(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1)][/itex]

So the area is:
    [itex]ln(\frac{m - 1}{m} + 1) - 2m + 1[/itex] for 0 < m < 1

Not sure where I went wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    Your process is right but you went wrong almost immediately. Yes, an area is enclosed only when [itex]0<x<1[/itex]. When I solved for [itex]m[/itex], here is what I got:

[itex]mx=\frac{x}{x^2+1}[/itex]
    [itex]m=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/itex]
    [itex]m(x^2+1)=1[/itex]
    [itex]x^2+1=\frac{1}{m}[/itex]
    [itex]x^2=\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex]
    [itex]x^2=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}-1}[/itex]

From there, proceed the exact way you did and you should get the following solution for the area:

[itex]ln(\frac{1}{m})+m-1[/itex]

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    Okay, I see my algebra error, but after you get [itex]x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}-1}[/itex], how do you solve for the values of m and get the boundaries 0 < x < 1? I can't do it anymore after I've fixed my error..

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

[itex]x^2=\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex] allows you to write an inequality for [itex]\frac{1}{m}-1[/itex]. Simplify that, considering the cases m > or < 0 separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook