Area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area between the antiderivative of the curve y = 5x3 - 23x2 - x + 3 passing through the point (1, e) and the x-axis from x = 1/√2 to x = 17π/11, with a desired accuracy of 3 significant figures. The person is self-teaching themselves calculus and is seeking help on Physics Forums, where they have been directed to post in the Homework & Coursework Questions area. They are expected to show their work or understanding of the problem before receiving assistance.
Konglomo
I'm trying to find the area between the antiderivative of the curve y = 5x3 - 23x2 - x + 3 passing through the point (1, e) and the x-axis from x = 1/√2 to x = 17π/11, to 3 significant figures.
I'm self teaching myself calculus, and this has me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

FYI, I have moved your post to our Homework & Coursework Questions area, since any text-book style question should be posted there, even if it's for independent study and not actual schoolwork.

The way it works on our forums, for problems like this, is: you the "student" show how far you got with the problem, or show what you think is involved in the solution. For this problem, you could work out the antiderivative of y as a starting point...

1. What is the definition of "Area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis"?

The area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis refers to the total area under a curve on a graph, starting from the x-axis and extending up to the curve. It is also known as the definite integral.

2. How is the area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis calculated?

The area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis is calculated by finding the antiderivative (or indefinite integral) of the given curve and then plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration (usually denoted as a and b) into the antiderivative formula. The resulting value is the area under the curve from a to b.

3. What is the relationship between antiderivatives and the area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis?

The area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis is directly related to the antiderivative function. The antiderivative function is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it represents the rate of change of the original function. Therefore, the antiderivative function can be used to calculate the area under the curve on a graph.

4. What are some real-life applications of the area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis?

The area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis has many real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force, determining the distance traveled by an object with changing velocity, and finding the total profit of a business over a certain period of time.

5. Can the area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis be negative?

Yes, the area from antiderivative of curve to x-axis can be negative. This occurs when the curve lies below the x-axis, resulting in a negative area. In this case, the absolute value of the negative area represents the actual area under the curve.