Area integral with cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the area of a surface defined by x2+y2=y, with yE[0,4]
Nikitin

Homework Statement

find the area of the surface defined by x2+y2=y, with yE[0,4]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting it up with cylindrical coordinates, but it doesn't work. Why?

402pi0r*dθ*dy, where r=√y

Is it because my height, dy, has a vertical direction while its direction should be in the direction of the conic wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

What does ##y_E[0,4]## mean?

Is it because my height, dy, has a vertical direction while its direction should be in the direction of the conic wall?

For one thing, ##y## is not one of the cylindrical coordinates. Your first step should be to draw a picture of your surface. Have you done that? What do you get?

LCKurtz said:
What does ##y_E[0,4]## mean?
I'm going to guess that it means ##y \in [0, 4]##.

Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? What you have doesn't make sense to me. In R2, the equation above represents a circle. In R3, the equation represents a circular cylinder that extends infinitely far on both directions along the z-axis.

Did you mean ##z \in [0, 4]##? That would provide upper and lower bounds for the cylinder, so you could get a finite surface area.
Nikitin said:

crap, I meant x^2 +z^2 = y..

Sorry, that was really stupid of me. It's in |R^3

OK, then cylindrical coordinates with the variables changed makes sense. But you still need to get the correct formula for ##dS##. If you parameterize your surface as ##\vec R(\theta,y)## then you need to use the formula ##dS = |\vec R_\theta \times \vec R_y|d\theta dy##. It isn't ##r d\theta dy##.

Yeah, I ultimately did that to solve my problem. However, I don't understand why the cylindrical formula shouldn't work.. If you just add the areas of lots of really thin cylinders together, you should end up with the area of the cone, right?

Nikitin said:
Yeah, I ultimately did that to solve my problem. However, I don't understand why the cylindrical formula shouldn't work.. If you just add the areas of lots of really thin cylinders together, you should end up with the area of the cone, right?

You lost me there. For one thing, the surface isn't a cone. I don't know what thin cylinders you are talking about. You need to add up elements of surface area.

ah, you're right, it isn't a cone. I'm sorry, never mind this thread.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area integral with cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating the area integral with cylindrical coordinates is A = ∫∫D r dr dθ, where D is the region in the xy-plane, r is the radius, and θ is the angle.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to cylindrical coordinates (r,θ,z), you can use the following equations: r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z.

3. Can the area integral with cylindrical coordinates be used to find the volume of a solid?

Yes, the area integral with cylindrical coordinates can be used to find the volume of a solid by integrating over the entire region in the xy-plane. The resulting volume will be in cubic units.

4. What is the difference between a single and double integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A single integral in cylindrical coordinates is used to find the area of a region in the xy-plane, while a double integral is used to find the volume of a solid when integrated over the entire region in the xy-plane.

5. Are there any applications of the area integral with cylindrical coordinates in real-world problems?

Yes, the area integral with cylindrical coordinates has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a solid or finding the electric field produced by a charged cylinder.