Area of a curve revolved about x-axis

In summary, the formula for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis is A = ∫2πy(x)dx, where y(x) is the equation of the curve being revolved. The shape of the curve greatly affects the area, with a curve closer to the x-axis having a larger area. The area cannot be negative and there are limitations to using the formula, such as the curve being continuous and having defined boundaries of integration. Additionally, the formula may not be applicable to all types of curves.
nweis84
I'm pretty sure I'm setting this up right i just get stuck when i need to integrate it

the equation is y=e^x and rotated around the x-axis

I've attached the question

can someone help me thanks

Attachments

• Ihatecalculus.doc
    68.5 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need 2 substitutions. The most obvious first substitution would be to let [itex]u=e^x[/itex]. Follow that up with an appropriate trig substitution and you're home free.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis?

The formula for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis is given by A = ∫2πy(x)dx, where y(x) is the equation of the curve being revolved.

2. How does the shape of the curve affect the area when revolved about the x-axis?

The shape of the curve greatly affects the area when revolved about the x-axis. A curve that is closer to the x-axis will have a larger area compared to a curve that is farther from the x-axis.

3. Can the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis be negative?

No, the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis cannot be negative. The area is always a positive value, as it represents the space enclosed by the curve and the x-axis.

4. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis?

Yes, there are limitations to using the formula. The curve must be continuous and have a finite length, and the boundaries of integration must be clearly defined.

5. Can the formula for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis be applied to any type of curve?

No, the formula may not be applicable to all types of curves. It is specifically designed for finding the area of a curve revolved about the x-axis, and may not work for other types of curves or shapes.