1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of cylinder sliced by sphere

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1

etf

Hi!
    Here is my task:
    Calculate area of cylinder $$x^{2}+y^{x}=ax$$ sliced by sphere $$x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}$$.
    Here is graph:

111.jpg

How to do it? If problem was "Calculate area of sphere $$x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=a^{2}$$ sliced by cylinder $$x^{2}+y^{x}=ax$$" I would solve it using double integrals ($$P=\iint\sqrt{1+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^{2}+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^{2}}dxdy$$ over region $$x^{2}+y^{x}=ax$$). That area would be this (I think):

222.jpg

123.jpg

But what would be area of cylinder sliced by sphere? Maybe this:

444.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2
    First correct the exponent of y in your equation of the cylinder, it is 2. Yes, it is the surface area of the cylinder contained within the sphere. Then, at first glance, I would translate the whole thing left by a/2 so that the axis of the cylinder passes through the origin and use cylindrical coordinates. r is constant, the limits on your polar angle are a full circle, and the limits on z (as a function of angle) are found from the intersection of the two equations. Should be straightforward (I didn't actually do it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted