1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of Isosceles Triangle Problem

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An Isosceles triangle has two equal sides of length 10cm. Let x be the angle between the two equal sides.

a. Express the area A of the triangle as a function of x in radians.

b. Suppose that x is increasing at the rate of 10 degrees per minute. How fast is A changing at the instant x = pi/3? At what value of x will the triangle have a maximum area?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part A, I know the answer is 50sin(x) using the double angle formula

for B)
    dx/dt=10degrees=0.1745rad

da/dt=50cos(x)(dx/dt)
    =50cos(pi/3)(0.1745)
    =4.36cm^2/min

For max area, using optimization techniques:

A'=50cosx >0 for 0<x<pi/2 and 3pi/2<x<2pi (since dimensions can't be negative)
    A' <0 for pi/2<x<3pi/2
    A'= 0 for x= pi/2 and 3pi/2
    Using closed interval method:
    A(pi/2)=50
    A(3pi/2)=-50, therefore A will be max when x=pi/2

I put this in another thread from about a year ago but the information was scrambled and I didn't receive any feedback, anyone mind taking a look at this to see if it's correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks ok. Except I would say the correct range for x should 0<=x<=pi. Just because all of the angles of a triangle should be in that range.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    Dick, you've helped me on all of the questions that I've posted here. Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook