Area of Polar Curves: Find & Calculate with Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: ∫0->π/4 = ∫1/2 (4sin2 2θ) dθ -∫1/2(2 sin 2θ) dθ2∫(1/2)(1-cos4θ)dθ - ∫(1/2)(1-cos 2θ) dθ[(θ-sin4θ)/4] - 1/2[(θ-sin 2θ)/2]π/16 - π/16 +1/4
knv
1. Given the curves r = 2sin(θ) and r = 2sin(2θ), 0≤θ≤π/2, find the area of the region outside the first curve and inside the second curve

2.not sure which equations to use

3. I got 1 and 1/2 as the area and they were wrong. I do not really know how to work this problem. A detailed step by step explanation would be really helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi knv! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Well I don't exactly know how to even start this problem but let's see.

∫2sin(2θ) - ∫2 sin(θ)

do the bounds change for the first one to π/4? Any hints on how to even start this problem. I am not looking for an answer. I do not understand my books explanation so I am really lost :confused:

knv said:
Well I don't exactly know how to even start this problem but let's see.

∫2sin(2θ) - ∫2 sin(θ)

do the bounds change for the first one to π/4? Any hints on how to even start this problem. I am not looking for an answer. I do not understand my books explanation so I am really lost :confused:

Generally the area inside a polar graph is ##\int_a^b \frac 1 2 r^2\, d\theta## between appropriate limits ##a## and ##b##. If you want the area between two graphs the integrand would be ##\frac 1 2( r_{outer}^2-r_{inner}^2)##. So you should sketch the two curves in the first quadrant and determine where they intersect and what the requestion region looks like. Then use the formula.

∫sin2(θ) - ∫ sin2(2θ)

since sin2 = 1/2(1-cos 2θ) we plug it in and bring the 1/2 to the front of each integral giving us..

1/2∫(1-cos 2θ) - 1/2∫(1-cos 4θ)

am I heading in the right direction? how do I find the bounds?

knv said:
∫sin2(θ) - ∫ sin2(2θ)

since sin2 = 1/2(1-cos 2θ) we plug it in and bring the 1/2 to the front of each integral giving us..

1/2∫(1-cos 2θ) - 1/2∫(1-cos 4θ)

am I heading in the right direction? how do I find the bounds?

You follow my suggestion and plot the two curves in the first quadrant. How else will you know which is the inner and outer curve and what the area looks like? To find where they intersect set the ##r##'s equal and find out which ##\theta## in the first quadrant does that.

Im still having trouble with this problem. Can anyone help? Please I am so lost. Just need some help on setting it up and getting it started

You've been given good advice about sketching the graphs of the two functions. Have you done that yet?

Yeah I did that. And the inner one is 2 sin θ and the outer one is 2 sin 2θ

They cross at 0 and π/4

Correct?

can I solve for half of the area using only one of the functions and then doubling it?

I got the answer 1/4. Does anyone know if that is correct before I use my last attempt?

knv said:

They cross at 0 and π/4

Correct?

knv said:
can I solve for half of the area using only one of the functions and then doubling it?

No, why would you think that unless you are just guessing?

If you know the outer curve and inner curve and where they cross, you know everything you need to know to use the formula I gave you in post #4. Try it.

No i had watched a video where a guy did that so I wasn't sure if it would work in this case.

I worked it out doing what you told me to do and came up with the answer 1/4.

Can you tell me if that is correct?

∫0->π/4 = ∫1/2 (4sin2 2θ) dθ -∫1/2(2 sin 2θ) dθ

2∫(1/2)(1-cos4θ)dθ - ∫(1/2)(1-cos 2θ) dθ

[(θ-sin4θ)/4] - 1/2[(θ-sin 2θ)/2]

(π/4-0)/4) - 1/2[(π/4 - 4/4)/2]

so it would end up being

π/16 - π/16 +1/4

You are close. The answer should be 1/2, so you are off by a factor of 2.
Are you sure you got everything squared that is supposed to be in your setup?

I had found 1/2 earlier and it was counted wrong.

knv said:
I had found 1/2 earlier and it was counted wrong.

I didn't notice you had the intersection point wrong. Please show me the steps how you got ##\pi/4##.

knv said:

They cross at 0 and π/4

Correct?
No.

They intersect at θ = 0 and θ = π/3 .

What is the area of a polar curve?

The area of a polar curve is the total amount of space enclosed by the curve. It is commonly measured in square units, such as square meters or square feet.

How do you calculate the area of a polar curve?

To calculate the area of a polar curve, you can use the formula A = 1/2 ∫ab r² dθ, where r is the distance from the origin to a point on the curve and θ is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the point. This integral is evaluated from the lower limit a to the upper limit b.

What is the step-by-step process for finding the area of a polar curve?

The step-by-step process for finding the area of a polar curve is as follows:

1. Sketch the curve and determine the limits of integration (a and b).
  2. Express the polar equation in terms of r and θ.
  3. Substitute the polar equation into the area formula A = 1/2 ∫ab r² dθ.
  4. Integrate the function with respect to θ.
  5. Evaluate the integral from a to b to find the area.

Can the area of a polar curve be negative?

No, the area of a polar curve cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity (space) and therefore cannot have a negative value.

What are some real-life applications of finding the area of polar curves?

Finding the area of polar curves has many real-life applications, including calculating the area of a lake or pond, determining the amount of material needed to construct a circular pool, and finding the area of a circular garden or flower bed. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in designing satellite dish antennas and analyzing the shape of planetary orbits.