How to find the area enclosed by two polar curves?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but did not include the area bounded by the inner and outer curves. The student calculated the area by adding the following integral.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Areas of regions Make a sketch of the region and its bounding curves. Find the area of the region."
"The region inside the curve ##r = \sqrt{cosθ}## and inside the circle ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##.

Homework Equations

##A = \frac{1}{2}\int_α^β(f(θ)^2-g(θ)^2)dθ##
Answer as given by textbook: ##\frac{1}{4}(2-\sqrt{3})+\frac{π}{12}##

The Attempt at a Solution

w0mQJal.png

Now, since the problem is asking for the region shared by both curves in the first quadrant, the lower limit of my integral would be 0, up until some arbitrary point which I solved for by equating the two curves.

##\sqrt{cosθ} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##
##cosθ=\frac{1}{2}##
##θ=arccos(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{π}{3}##

So my upper limit would be ##\frac{π}{3}##. Plugging these limits into the equation, I have...

##\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{π}{3}}(\frac{1}{2}-cosθ)dθ = (\frac{1}{4}θ-\frac{1}{2}sinθ)|_0^{\frac{π}{3}} = \frac{π}{12}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} = \frac{π}{12}-\frac{1}{4}(\sqrt{3})##

So I'm missing like a ##\frac{1}{2}## in my answer, and I don't know why. Could someone tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Equations

Why are you using that equation? That would be the equation for the area between the two curves. But the purple area in your diagram is, for every radial line, only bounded by one curve.

Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Areas of regions Make a sketch of the region and its bounding curves. Find the area of the region."
"The region inside the curve ##r = \sqrt{cosθ}## and inside the circle ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##.

Homework Equations

Answer as given by textbook: ##\frac{1}{4}(2-\sqrt{3})+\frac{π}{12}##

The Attempt at a Solution

w0mQJal.png

Now, since the problem is asking for the region shared by both curves in the first quadrant, the lower limit of my integral would be 0, up until some arbitrary point which I solved for by equating the two curves.

##\sqrt{cosθ} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##
##cosθ=\frac{1}{2}##
##θ=arccos(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{π}{3}##

So my upper limit would be ##\frac{π}{3}##. Plugging these limits into the equation, I have...

##\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{π}{3}}(\frac{1}{2}-cosθ)dθ = (\frac{1}{4}θ-\frac{1}{2}sinθ)|_0^{\frac{π}{3}} = \frac{π}{12}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} = \frac{π}{12}-\frac{1}{4}(\sqrt{3})##

So I'm missing like a ##\frac{1}{2}## in my answer, and I don't know why. Could someone tell me what I did wrong?
Look carefully at the figure you drew.

The angle π/3 gets you to the intersection of these two curves, but have you accounted for all of the area inside the overlap of these two curves?

andrewkirk said:
That would be the equation for the area between the two curves. But the purple area in your diagram is, for every radial line, only bounded by one curve.

It looks to me that it is bounded by the y-axis and either ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## or ##r = cosθ##. So it can only be bounded by one of these, depending on which function I chose for my inner and outer curves? In this case, ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## is my outer and ##r = cosθ## is my inner curve?

SteamKing said:
The angle π/3 gets you to the intersection of these two curves, but have you accounted for all of the area inside the overlap of these two curves?

You're right; the area is bounded by ##(0,\frac{π}{2})##. Right now, I think I only solved for the purple section of the overlapping curves, as shown below.
GqeIDUB.png

So I would need to solve for that red portion, which is supposed to be ##\frac{1}{2}##. I'm thinking of keeping my integral as it is, and just adding the following integral to it: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{π}{3}}^{\frac{π}{2}}(cos^2θ-g(θ))dθ##, where ##g(θ)## is the slope from the origin to the point of intersection. I'm going to get to work on figuring out how to express lines using polar coordinates, unless someone has a say in the efficiency of this method. Additionally, if anyone knows how to shrink images, that would also be appreciated.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It looks to me that it is bounded by the y-axis and either ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## or ##r = cosθ##. So it can only be bounded by one of these, depending on which function I chose for my inner and outer curves? In this case, ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## is my outer and ##r = cosθ## is my inner curve?
No. There is no outer and inner curve, only an outer one. The outer curve is the circle for ##\theta## from 0 to the intersection point you identified - that gives you the purple area. The outer curve is the ##(\sqrt{\cos\theta},\theta)## curve for ##\theta## from there to ##\pi/2##. That gives you the red area.
I'm thinking of keeping my integral as it is, and just adding the following integral to it: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{π}{3}}^{\frac{π}{2}}(cos^2θ-g(θ))dθ##, where ##g(θ)## is the slope from the origin to the point of intersection.
No, don't keep any integral that was done in the form ##\int_a^b (f(\theta)^2-g(\theta)^2)d\theta##. They are based on the area between an outer and inner curve and there is no inner curve. Get rid of the ##g(\theta)^2## part.

Likes Eclair_de_XII
Eclair_de_XII said:
You're right; the area is bounded by ##(0,\frac{π}{2})##. Right now, I think I only solved for the purple section of the overlapping curves, as shown below.
GqeIDUB.png

So I would need to solve for that red portion, which is supposed to be ##\frac{1}{2}##. I'm thinking of keeping my integral as it is, and just adding the following integral to it: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{π}{3}}^{\frac{π}{2}}(cos^2θ-g(θ))dθ##, where ##g(θ)## is the slope from the origin to the point of intersection. I'm going to get to work on figuring out how to express lines using polar coordinates, unless someone has a say in the efficiency of this method. Additionally, if anyone knows how to shrink images, that would also be appreciated.
You don't need to figure out the equation of the line separating the red area from the purple area.

In polar coordinates, a point is defined by two pieces of data: r and θ.

The red area is the area of the curve
$$r = \sqrt{cos (θ)}$$ between θ = π/3 and θ = π/2. :wink:

Likes Eclair_de_XII
andrewkirk said:
No. There is no outer and inner curve, only an outer one. The outer curve is the circle for ##\theta## from 0 to the intersection point you identified - that gives you the purple area. The outer curve is the ##(\sqrt{\cos\theta},\theta)## curve for ##\theta## from there to ##\pi/2##. That gives you the red area.
No, don't keep any integral that was done in the form ##\int_a^b (f(\theta)^2-g(\theta)^2)d\theta##

So what form of integral should I use in order to find that red area, if I am unable to use the one you listed as bad?

Do you not have a formula for the area with a single curve? It would be very odd for your teachers to give you a formula for the case where there are two curves and not for where there is one.

Also, rough estimation shows the following cannot be even roughly correct:
So I would need to solve for that red portion, which is supposed to be ##\frac12##
Each little square in the diagram has area 0.01. Approx how many little squares fit inside the red area? Far fewer than 50.

Estimation can be helpful in cases like this, to check the reasonableness of answers and that you are staying on the right track.

SteamKing said:
The red area is the area of the curve

##r = \sqrt{cos (θ)}##

between ##θ = π/3## and ##θ = π/2##. :wink:

Hm, I think I get what you're saying. ##\frac{1}{2}\int_\frac{π}{3}^\frac{π}{2}(cos^\frac{1}{2}(θ))^2dθ=\frac{1}{2}\int_\frac{π}{3}^\frac{π}{2}(cos(θ))dθ = \frac{1}{2}sin(θ)|_\frac{π}{3}^\frac{π}{2}=\frac{1}{2}(sin(\frac{π}{2})-sin(\frac{π}{3}))=\frac{1}{2}[1-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})]=\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})=\frac{1}{4}(2-\sqrt{3})##. So now, that's one part of the equation, and now that's left is the ##\frac{\pi}{12}## part, which I already solved for in my original post, alongside the ##-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}##. Now, to solve for the ##\frac{\pi}{12}##, I think I should just integrate the ##r = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##, as such: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}}\frac{1}{2}dθ=\frac{1}{4}|_0^\frac{\pi}{3}=\frac{\pi}{12}##.

andrewkirk said:
Do you not have a formula for the area with a single curve?

I'm self-studying for the Calculus III course I'm going to be taking in a month, so I'm just teaching myself from the book in the meantime. Anyway, it did not give a formula to solve for the area of a single curve; just for areas between two distinct curves. Though, if I had to guess what that formula was, I would think to set the ##g(x)## of the equation I posted to zero, and let the integral become: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_α^β(f(x))^2dx##. I'm probably mistaken, though. Anyway, thanks for the help, Steam and andrew. You've been a big help; I appreciate it.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm self-studying for the Calculus III course I'm going to be taking in a month, so I'm just teaching myself from the book in the meantime. Anyway, it did not give a formula to solve for the area of a single curve; just for areas between two distinct curves. Though, if I had to guess what that formula was, I would think to set the ##g(x)## of the equation I posted to zero, and let the integral become: ##\frac{1}{2}\int_α^β(f(x))^2dx##. I'm probably mistaken, though. Anyway, thanks for the help, Steam and andrew. You've been a big help; I appreciate it.

You can always supplement the text you are studying with additional materials if some of the concepts are not presented too clearly.

Paul's Online Math Notes give pretty concise instruction in calculus, differential equations and some of the basic math leading up to these.

Here is Paul's section on finding areas using polar coordinates:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/PolarArea.aspx

1. How do I determine the area enclosed by two polar curves?

To find the area enclosed by two polar curves, you can use the formula A = 1/2∫θ1θ2 (r1)^2 - (r2)^2 dθ, where r1 and r2 are the two curves, and θ1 and θ2 are the points of intersection. This formula is derived from the sector area formula for a polar graph.

2. Can I use the same method to find the area for any two polar curves?

Yes, the same formula can be used to find the area enclosed by any two polar curves, as long as the curves intersect at two distinct points.

3. What should I do if the two polar curves do not intersect at two distinct points?

If the two polar curves do not intersect at two distinct points, you can divide the enclosed area into smaller regions where the curves do intersect and use the formula for each region. Then, you can add the areas together to find the total enclosed area.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to find the area enclosed by two polar curves?

Yes, many graphing calculators have a built-in function for finding the area enclosed by two polar curves. Consult your calculator's manual or online resources for specific instructions on how to use this function.

5. Is there a way to check my answer for the area enclosed by two polar curves?

Yes, you can check your answer by graphing the two polar curves on a polar coordinate plane and visually verifying the enclosed area. You can also use the arc length formula to find the perimeter of the enclosed region and compare it to your calculated area.