1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the area between Polar Curves

1. May 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the region that consists of all points that lie within the circle r = 1 but outside the polar equation r = cos(2θ)

2. Relevant equations

A = ∫ 1/2 (r2^2 - r1^2) dθ, where r2 is outer curve and r1 is inner curve.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what the graph looks like if you want to see it: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r+=+cos(2x)+polar

Ok so first I had to find out the limits for my integral. I set: 1 = cos(2θ) and got that θ = ∏.

Now I made my integral, but instead of going from -∏ to ∏ I went from 0 to ∏ and multiplied it by 2

A = 2 ∫ 1/2 [(1^2) - (cos(2θ)^2)] dθ, from 0 to ∏

A = ∫ [ (1) - (1/2 cos(4θ) +1)] dθ, from 0 to ∏

I solved it and received: ∏ - ∏/2

Which equals ∏/2.

Just want to know if I did it right. The main part I was worried about was the limits for my integral.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's right but IMHO would benefit from being done more simply.

I guess you could take the area of a circle as known.

For the area enclosed by cos(2θ) you could equally well integrate 0 to π/4 and multiply by 8. But simpler still...

In your polar co-ordinate figure it looks quite plausible that the area enclosed by it is half that of the circle, but is not self-evident.

Whereas it is self-evident in. Cartesian co-ordinates. And you could make the argument purely by symmetry without any integrations.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. May 10, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you look at the graph for ##0<\theta<\pi## of the two figures, it is a bit of a stretch to describe what you have as an outer curve and an inner curve. Of course, squaring makes it all work out OK. I would have just gone from ##0## to ##\frac \pi 4## and multiplied by ##8##.

5. May 10, 2014 #4
    I see. That's and interesting way of looking at the problem. Thanks for that.

Also, if I'm not mistaken both give the same answer (∏/2) right?

6. May 10, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##\frac \pi 2## is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted